Gifts

Wei Ying was nervous the next morning, but also content. He was reminded of the small family that he had cultivated at Gusu, and he would not allow anyone to put that into danger. If what he had noticed before was any indication, Jiang Cheng did not recognize him, not yet. He would eventually, he was sure, but for now, for now Wei Ying was safe. Even when he did recognize him, there was nothing anyone could do. His family had been rogue cultivators, they belonged to nobody and no certainly no sect. As a result he supposed that there was not much to worry should he even remember him in the first place. 

He was a ward of the Lan clan, they would not take too lightly to one of theirs being disrespected, no matter if it was him or not. He was Lan Zhan's ward, while it may not mean...as much as being, say an actual part of the clan, he was practically, like, adopted in. It was weird to think about, but he had the same rights as the other Lans, according to XiChen. It was odd that Lan Zhan had not told him that, he would admit, but he also figured it was likely because the other had failed to realize that Wei Ying would not know that...There was quite a bit of things that Wei Ying did not know. it would take some time for him to catch up, although he had been doing quite well under Lan Zhan's careful watch and tutaladge. It also helped that SiZhui was willing to help him learn more too. He did not know many within the Lan Sect, unlike how others knew of him...It was inevitable considering he was the ward of the Lan Clan...and the only ones he could truly say that he was close to was Lan Zhan and Lan SiZhui, but really, that was enough for him. While he wanted to talk to Wen Ning, to make sure that he was okay, he would not be able to do that until he was further than CaiYi, to keep from having the Lans figuring out what he was doing, which meant that he was going to have to figure out a way to insert himself into some safety net. 

He knew that Wen Ning would freak out should he figure out that the Jiangs were here as well, so for now perhaps it was best that he kept the boy in the dark. He felt bad about it, knowing that he should figure out where he was, but he also did not want to risk himself, and far more, he did not want to compromise Wen Ning's position. He did not know how the others would take to him and he most certainly was not ready or prepared to figure that out either. He would prefer to keep himself in the dark regarding that. It was too risky on both of their ends to justify such a thing. 

"Are you ready?" Lan Zhan whispered softly, a small smile appeared on Wei Ying's lips as he glanced up at the elder with a look of content adoration. 

"Of course! I have been readying myself for this for quite some time." He bit his lower lower lip, humming a bit before deciding to continue forth with what he was wanting to say. "I...Am a bit worried, however, if I am going to admit it." 

"About?" Lan Zhan questioned, tilting his head slightly as he sat Wei Ying down in the chair, pulling his hair backwards to begin brushing it as Wei Ying had done his earlier. It had become a ritual for them to do each other's hair. Not only was it relaxing and comforting, but Lan Zhan found that he enjoyed pulling his fingers through the silken strands of Wei Ying's hair, and he knew that Wei Ying would not defy his desires should he want the boy to do his own, he knew that Wei Ying enjoyed doing his hair as well, though he would never admit it out loud. Perhaps it was a bit too domestic, a bit too intimate, but the both of them had settled the routine the first time Lan Zhan had twisted the red ribbon into the boy's hair, and it had never really died down. Why should they deny them a moment of comfort and mutual contentment if they did not need to? 

"Shifu," Wei Ying sighed heavily. "I know that he perhaps is not overly fond of me," Lan Zhan sighed inward, pulling Wei Ying's hair straight so that it would not tangle. 

"Uncle is quite fond of Wei Ying, as is Xiong Zhang. Wei Ying needn't worry about these things." He admitted without hesitation as he elegantly twisted the other's hair before pulling a ribbon to tie it with. 

Wei Ying preferred the use of ribbons to actual head dress pieces. Lan Zhan had noticed this when despite giving Wei Ying a few common Gusu pieces, he preferred the ribbons. Perhaps there was some significance to the colour red that Lan Zhan was not made aware of, but he would not begrudge such a thing. Curiosity in regards to this would be satisfied only when Wei Ying admitted such things to him. He would not force it, knowing that if he asked the question the other would feel compelled to answer. Perhaps a bit stupid, but once Wei Ying spoke to him of why he preferred the red accents, that is when Lan Zhan would take him as being placed fully within his confidence. 

"Wei Ying has done...quite well, assimilating the last few months. I am...happy...Wei Ying feels at home here." Wei Ying gave Lan Zhan a bright smile looking back towards the mirror where Lan Zhan had finished putting up his hair, and instead settled his hands on the other's shoulders for a few moments. "Your robes have come for this occasion." Lan Zhan said softly. Wei Ying looked up at Lan Zhan, confusing marring his features. 

"What...I thought I was just going to be wearing my regular..." he paused, stopping himself. Of course he would not be wearing his regular robes for such an occasion as this, how stupid could he be? 

"Typically, we wear blue accent detail, I...got permission from Uncle, and Xiong Zhang, they agreed to allow you to have both blue and red accent detailing on your personalized robes." Wei Ying's eyes widened, staring at Lan Zhan with shock. 

"You...But why..." 

"Wei Ying likes the colour." Was all Lan Zhan said, and moving towards the farther end of the Jingshi, which Wei Ying had taken to spending more time in than his own place, he retreated, his arms full of the robes which he was to wear. Wei Ying saw the traditional blue and white robes, very similar to Lan Zhan's own, the differences were held in the edges of the gusu motif, where the outline was blue, and red, rather than simply just blue, and the collar and hem of the robes were also blue and red. Wei Ying almost felt as though he wanted to cry for whatever absurd reason. 

Lan Zhan had gifted him robes before, but these were different. These were an acceptance of him becoming a part of the Lan Sect, and he really was unsure how his heart could take such things. Lan Zhan placed them into his arms and Wei Ying felt...overcome. 

"Lan Zhan, I..." He stopped, shaking his head. "How can I possibly thank you for this." 

"Wei Ying is my ward, I Must ensure that he is properly fitted." He said simply, but Wei Ying knew that there was more to it than that. Lan Zhan could easily have given him the simple robes that other wards are given. He had seen Lan XiChen explain it, but this was not those. Properly fitted, yes, but Lan Zhan had made custom robes for him. He felt something...swell, in his chest. Some unnamed emotion. 

"Thank you," He whispered, tears wanting to fall from the shock and stunned nature of such an extravagant gift. 

"Wei Ying is mine to protect. I...Care for Wei Ying...much." Wei Ying smiled up at Lan Zhan. 

"I care for you as well." 

"Dress, we must not be late."