Part 25

"Wei Ying...I-.." Lan Zhan paused, he wanted to say this before they left for the disciple guest lectures. He remembered his brother's words of encouragement. "Usually, I would ask before stating this but...Convention does not allow in our situation. I...I wanted to know...if I could..." Lan Zhan paused, trying to force himself to say the words. It was bad enough that he usually did not speak but now he was stuttering and not able to say things properly. "If I could...Court...Wei Ying...If Wei Ying is...accepting towards it. If not...nothing will change...I just..." Wei Ying put a finger up, stopping him from going further.

"Oh you fuddy duddy," He said with an air of fondness. He could not say that he was not shocked. He was. He had never really thought about courtship, much less with a man, and even less with Lan Wangji, but...a part of him...was not exactly opposed. Okay that was a lie a large part of him was not opposed. "Does...Does that mean that these robes would be my first courting gift?" Wei Ying asked with his eyes glittering in mischief. Lan Zhan swallowed with wide eyes.

"If...If Wei Ying likes them so much he would accept them as such...But I can also..." Wei Ying shook his head, staring at Lan Zhan with a serious expression.

"Lan Zhan. We...I..." He sighed pouting at his stuttering. "I have had like, the biggest man crush on you for ages. Besides, I care for you a lot. You sheltered me, protected me, and even gave me a home. That was more than I could have ever asked for. You have been so accomodating. It is...shocking in a way. You are right, we do not have the ability to do this the way others normally would, I do feel as though I should ask, though, did...Did Shifu and Young Master XiChen agree to this?" Lan Zhan nodded once.

"They are the ones who brought it up when I asked for the detailing on the robes." Lan Zhan admitted, his ears flushing. Wei Ying jumped up a bit.

"See? That means these are the perfect first courting gift. One, you had to ask and go through hoops to get them. It shows your determination, and care, and attention to the things I like, two, you had to go to your brother and uncle, and even they asked about it. Clearly, it is perfect." Lan Zhan smiled, as much as a Lan smiled, and his eyes showed happiness.

It was a bit sudden, and Lan Zhan had to admit he had not believed Wei Ying would accept, he thought it would take more, and Wei Ying himself was also shocked. He had not expected Lan Zhan to ask something. Yet, he could not deny this warm feeling when he was with Lan Wangji. The weight of the world exiting his shoulders, and the general warmth that surrounded him here. He was lucky to stay here as a ward.

"Of course, now that we are courting, Uncle has decided that you cannot be my ward any longer. As such, XionZhang has requested to...take over." Wei Ying smiled and laughed.

"That makes sense of course!" He said. Though Wei Ying was nervous. He was still nervous around Lan XiChen. Lan Zhan picked this up and hastily moved to try and do damage control.

"I could ask SiZhui to do it as well, if that makes you more comfortable." Wei Ying sharply inhaled but shook his head adamantly.

"There is no need for that. Besides, Young Master XiChen and I shall have to get more acquainted either way. Perhaps this way, I will not be so...anxious around him." Lan Zhan smiled. He knew XionZhang would take great care of Wei Ying. That and that he would not do anything that Lan Wangji would not.

"We must speak with brother before the class then."

"Ah, is that why you woke me up so early. Lan Zhaaan." Lan Zhan just gave a quirk of his lips. Wei Ying was already far more relaxed than he had seen in quite some time. It would seem as though this had been a good idea.

When Lan Wangji had gone to Uncle and XiChen to ask about the detailing on the robes they had been rather confused and asked if he had decided to start courting Wei Ying instead of keeping him as a Ward. It was not something that was traditionally done for wards, and Lan Wangji was well aware of that. Although he had not thought of it at the time, he understood their confusion and therefore had said that there was no way that Wei Ying would agree. He had not even known if he was into men. At that XiChen had straight up laughed at him! However, both of them reassured him that if he did decide to court Wei Ying it would definitely be accepted. Out of everyone, Wei Ying spent the most time with Lan Zhan, and when he was with SiZhui or Jingyi he talked about Lan Zhan almost the entire time. Most of the other disciples had already thought they begun courting. It would not hurt to make it official, especially with the Jiangs coming. XiChen had told him that should Wei Ying accept his courting proposal, XiChen himself or Uncle or SiZhui would have to take over his wardship.

Lan Zhan had thought on it during the night and realized that they did indeed do many things that couples would do. Taking walks around Cloud Recesses, meeting family, family dinners and talks, braiding hair, small gifts on Lan Zhan's part, and taking walks into town being the latest one. They were already practically in the second stage of courting without having been given any courting gifts. A part of Lan Zhan also could not help that the thought of Wei Ying being his...forever...was definitely alluring.

He had not expected Wei Ying to actually agree though. Yet, now, he had, and Lan Zhan found a part of him reveling in that fact. A dark part of him was gloating over the fact that now Wei Ying was bound to be tied to him...and he would never leave Cloud Recesses. Not really.