Part 27

Wei Ying gripped Lan Zhan as Wen Chao walked into the pavilion, Lan XiChen effortlessly moving to deal with him, but oh, how he longed to beat him for daring. He was trembling in anger at the blatant disrespect. He could care less that the Jiang Sect was interrupted, he cared more that they had dared to not only harm the guards, but also break down the wards in such a violent manner. He was shaking in his anger, having difficulty controlling it. His teeth gritted and his eyes bleeding. Lan Zhan dug his nails into his wrist, and Wei Ying closed his eyes, circling his thoughts on the pain, trying to clear his head a little bit. It worked, even if just barely. He took deep breaths, focusing on Lan Zhan, but it was not until Wen Chao was horribly crude and rude towards SiZhui when the latter had asked them to put down their swords and Wen Chao dared to raise his.

At that, Wei Ying had enough. He flew from Lan Wangji and stood in front of SiZhui, lifting his flute to block the strike that could have hurt SiZhui as nobody had really saw it coming. How often was it that one dared to raise their weapon against another unprepared and unarmed after all? Especially within the Cloud Recesses. He may be new, but that meant nothing to him. Though perhaps SiZhui and himself were tense acquaintences given his classes with the other, he had courted him as a brother. Not to mention he was Lan Zhan's brother and he was now romantically courting Lan Zhan. His eyes bled red as he stared at the other, body shaking from the sheer amount of anger that radiated through him. He pushed back with the body of his flute, sending Wen Chao's sword flying from his hand and landing with a clatter on the floor. He then flicked his sleeve and placed the flute behind him at the small of his back, holding eye contact with the spoiled heir.

"I see that the Wens have decided to have disciples come to the lectures this year." He said, his voice polite but bordering on an edge. "How wonderful, please, leave your guests with us and return to your sect. I am sure that there are far more important things for you to be doing." It sounded like a suggestion, but the flash of crimson that flood Wei Ying's eyes proved it to be a threat, not a suggestion. Wen Chao huffed, but was far more than intimidated, his fingers still wringing.

"Tsk," Wen Chao huffed and turned on his heel to head back down the mountain. Wei Ying watched as they did so, waiting until he felt them leave the border, before turning to SiZhui.

"Are you alright?" He whispered softly, taking SiZhui's arm into his hand and inspecting him. When he was sure there were no marks on his arms, he then moved on, grabbing his face and tilting it to either side to ensure there was nothing there. SiZHui allowed him the fussing with amusement. Wei Ying sighed in relief when he saw that Wen Chao truly had not harmed him. He was glad that he had managed to get to him in time, he had become paranoid for a moment, afraid he had not reacted quite fast enough. It was comforting to know that he had.

"I am fine, thank you for your help." Wei Ying gave him a small smile, ignoring the looks everyone was giving the two, and ushered SiZhui back to his seat before taking his stand once more next to Lan Zhan. The other turned his approving gaze on him, and Wei Ying felt as though he could melt into the body that was next to him, relief taking his body in a way he had not thought it would before. He had barely managed, but his years in excersing control were not for nothing. He just was afraid that his emotions had run wild with him.

Lan Qiren quickly commenced the ceremony once again, keeping them from going too far. He sighed, making sure to keep deep breaths, and stay calm, as well as pretending he did not notice the looks of the Sect Heir's staring at him. It was unnerving, he was not used to being stared at by too many people, and the way that he clung to Lan Zhan was probably bordering on indecent, although Lan Qiren, nor Lan XiChen, had called them out on it so he really could care less. He was just glad that they were able to handle the rest of the ceremony. Once it ended Wei Ying pulled Lan XiChen and Lan Wangji to the side.

"The Wens broke the barrier." he whispered softly. Lan XiChen seemed surprised that he knew that, but did not question him about it further, instead just waiting for him to continue with what he wanted to inform them on, for which Wei Ying was grateful. He was not sure he would be able to explain how he knew that. "It is important to get them back up, and also check on the guards that were patrolling in the area. I am worried Wen Chao and his posse may have hurt them." XiChen gave Wei Ying an approving smile, and even Lan Qiren, having hung back to causally happen to overhear the conversation-he was not eavesdropping, that would be against the rules-was impressed that Wei Ying was truly taking to his new spot in the Sect. He was also proud that he had decided to point out such things to his nephews, although he would want to question him a bit further on how it was he was able to tell such things so well, as it did explain the flinching before Wen Chao had come into sight.

It was possible that Wei Ying was somehow connected to their wards in a way that the others were not. Though Lan Qiren did not see it as a big problem, he was curious how that was the case, as well as the potentials for it.