escape attempts

It had been a good hour by now, and he was still being dragged resolutely by the Lan disciples. Wei Ying had done his best to conserve his energy after it had been apparent that he was, unfortunately, not going to be able to defeat the GusuLan disciples in order to escape. He had tried, he had struggled violently, though not enough to harm the young disciples, and he had even lashed out at the young lord in vain as he found his lips soon sealed. He was not going to be capable of leaving. At least not outright that is. His cultivation was higher than theirs of course, but he felt it was cruel to use cultivation against them, especially when they were so young. Perhaps he was the same age, or at least near to it, but Wei Ying did not care about that. They likely had not been forced to fight as much as he had. It would be unnecessarily cruel. Not just that, but their leader, Lan Wangji, was definitely stronger than he was, and so no matter what he was not in a good place. Lan Wangji would easily subdue him, and fighting one against several was never a wise choice, even if he was confident he could win. He did not want to even think about what could happen if he tried to fight the disciples and failed, for there was always the possibility of failure, something which Wei Ying always made sure to keep in mind when doing anything. Lan Wangji did not seem like the person to permit fighting anyways. Especially not since he would be trying to escape his clutches, and fighting to try and free himself would not end well if he did happen to fail to manage to do so. He was not sure what GusuLan would do should such reports come that he had fought the clan's precious disciples. Lan Wangji, just by looking at him Wei Ying could tell. There was no way he would take such a thing lightly, which meant he probably had, possibly, one chance for escape, and Wei Ying, he knew that he would have to be careful. Such a chance had to be planned meticulously.

The biggest defect that he was currently faced with, was that he was not used to being around cultivators. His mother had been one, his trainer and father, but they were all dead now. Dead and long gone, leaving him to navigate the cruel world all alone without help. He had not really seen cultivators other than his parents and later on his trainer either. He had not really seen how other cultivators used their spiritual energy. He had been told by Wen Ning, but Wen Ning's knowledge was also vastly limited by what he had seen or experienced, and that was not enough for Wei Ying to know for sure. Besides, hearing was different than seeing, and none if the examples had been Gusulan cultivators. Given how Lan Wangji had reacted to his flute, he doubted that his way of cultivation was similar to how they normally do it. As such, Wei Ying chanced that he was cultivating in a way that was likely different from how a lot of people do it. It made him wonder what other ways there was to use. He also did not really know if his cultivation could...hurt other people. He would assume so, just like any form it was truly a testament of skill and power based on your level.

Wei Ying truly was at a disadvantage here. It was not really all that comforting as he hated being outnumbered and outmatched, and he was both at the moment. Still, he was determined to escape before they reached this Cloud Recesses. It was necessary, and he would do it no matter what. When Wei Ying put his mind to something he always achieved it.

So, Wei Ying waited until the Gusulan disciples were paying too much attention to their leader. Which truly was not all that trouble. It was a rather interesting thing. He had to say their determination, obedience and loyalty was rather admirable. That did not stop him, when their attention was finally entirely off of himself, from slyly drawing a talisman. It was a bit complex, but he managed it, and in no time he was able to slip through the hands of the disciples, a corporal version of himself in his place. He smiled at his success. There was no time to tarry, however. According to the boy he had helped with his injury, they were not too far from the Cloud Recesses, they should reach there within the hour. So he quietly turned on his heel, and dashed away from the disciples. 

So it was a bit impulsive and a rather brash and not very clearly thought out plan. They would figure out he was gone in less than a few minutes and so he scarcely had time to do anything, which did not mean that he would not try, because he most certainly would. Even if he failed, at the very least he had attempted to get away, which was better than just staying there. 

Making his way quickly through the forest, he was not entirely certain where he was going. He had never been this far into the woods before, preferring to stay somewhat close to the edge.
He was so close to his escape when he heard the cry and skid to a stop. He did not know what it was, there really shouldn't be much danger this close to the Cloud Recesses. The entire mountain was practically cloaked in pure energy. Closing his eyes he chastised himself mentally. Do not so it Wei Ying. If you go back there will not be another chance. You will not be given another opportunity to leave. This was a one time thing. Do not do it. But at the second cry Wei Ying groaned out loud and rushed back, retracing his steps, cursing himself all the time in his mind as he did so. 

He broke the barrier between him and the disciples to see what the hell was going on and...oh, oh. These boys are just junior disciples. They do not pose much threat. Barring Lan Wangji, not many of them have the ability or even knowledge to banish fierce corpses. And that was exactly what they were facing.  A large horde of fierce corpses. Unlike Wen Ning, these guys were filled with dark, negative energy. It chilled him to the core. The kids...or Wei Ying supposed he could not call them kids because he was the same age, but, they were valiantly attempting to defend themselves. Wei Ying sighed long-sufferingly, and leapt himself placing himself in between the boys and fierce corpses who, the moment of his arrival started for him instead. They must have been called out by his energy, though, he did not really know why. Not much made sense and he did not really have the ability or frame of mind at the moment to think over it too much. The boys cried out, uncertain what to do. Wei Ying groaned, he would not be able to just leave them there. He was not heartless.

"Spread out," Wei Ying ordered softly. "Place yourselves evenly around the clearing." They hesitated. So Wei Ying growled and barked at them to GO. They did so without a seconds thought. Now, with the fierce corpses somewhat contained, Lan Wangji descended to the ground, standing back to back, Wei Ying lifted his flute to his mouth.
So much for escape.