Untitled Part 26

XiChen was delighted in the news. Smiling upon both Wei Ying and Lan Zhan. He was happy that his little brother had finally found someone he would be willing to tie himself with, forever. He had never thought him leaving early for a simple convention as a sect leader would cause such joy. He had not necessarily needed to do it, but had thought perhaps the situation would call for him, and decided it would be best to go himself rather than send an envoy as he would have done in another time. This was quite possibly the best decision that he could have possibly made. Had he not done so, Lan Wangji would have never been sent to investigate the increase of ghosts in the southern end, Sizhui would have never gotten hurt, and Wei Ying quite possibly would have never been found. Although, he was still surprised that he had managed to hide himself from them so well. Typically, young children wandering about alone for more than a day or two, especially when clearly not part of the Sect itself, were taken immediately to Uncle or himself. He could not say that he was not surprised when Wangji brought a person to the Cloud Recesses, he had never done such a thing before and it was quite...startling, to say the very least. Furthermore, the boy seemed a bit...off in the head. He was complaining about classes, then jumps at the opportunity when he finds out Lan Zhan was going to go, but also was almost painfully quiet and shy, and yet seems like he had no problem talking at the speed of light when nobody but Wangji was around him. He hates being touched, but will also run around hugging certain people, and he could be loud but hates loud noises. He did not seem to be able to concentrate but at the same time was capable of doing just that when he had enough reason to be, and it was obvious that he had vast amounts of relentless energy.

There was something else about the boy, though XiChen was not able to quite place what exactly it was. Something more...dark than what he portrayed to the rest of them. He was not sure, and he did not see it all of the time, but then again he did not really see the boy at all. He seemed rather frightened of him for whatever reason that was. He was not really entirely sure. He would have to ask the boy first, but he did not know if he felt comfortable doing so. Part of the reason why he was further surprised when he was told of his willingness to become XiChen's own ward. That had surprised him greatly considering how careful he was about not interacting with him. It just showed how happy he was to have Lan Zhan courting him.

"I am glad to take over the wardship." XiChen said with a smile. Wei Ying was still clinging behind Lan Zhan hesitant in facing him. The boy tentatively came from behind his pillar and gave him a bow.

"Thank you Master XiChen," The elder lan smiled and shook his head.

"There is no need for such formality between us please." Xichen spoke. "Call me Brother, or Xichen if you would." Wei Ying stared at him with big eyes.

"Ah, O-Okay." That was all he spoke before he rushed back behind Wangji and it made XiChen's heart warm a bit, just as much as it iced it. He was not sure what it was that caused Wei Ying desperation to stay far from him, but he was sure that they would be able to overcome such things, especially now that he was XiChen's ward.

"I see you are going to be wearing your customed robes to the ceremony." XiChen stated, noting the red accents on his uniform. "It looks good on you. Wangji made a wonderful choice."

"It is...not against the rules?"

"Of course not. It was agreed to by myself, and Uncle. None would dare question their validity. Furthermore, they are a show that you have become an official member of the Gusu Lan Clan. You and Wangji are betrothed now, after all. You were one as a ward, but it is slightly different and more...permanent now." Lan Wangji nudged Wei Ying slightly and he smiled happily.

"They are the first courting gift of Lan Zhan, to me." XiChen smiled, he had figured that would be the case when Wangji had requested them. It was good that he had pushed his little brother to confess.

"We should get going, though," Xichen said suddenly. "The gift giving ceremony is about to begin."

"Gift..." Wei Ying faltered once XiChen turned to look at him but continued none-the-less. "Giving ceremony? What is that?"

"The guest disciples, one order of their sect, give gifts to Gusu for hosting the lectures." Wei Ying furrowed his brows down nervously.

"Should I..."

"No," Came XiChen's slightly stern reply. "Not only are you now my ward, but before you were Wangji's and now you are Wangji's courted partner. It is not necessary." Wei Ying flushed a bit at the reminder. "Now, come, let us go. It would not due to be late. All three of us must stand besides Uncle."

Wei Ying kept close to Lan Zhan, but XiChen considered it a step towards progress that he willingly walked between the two of them. Wei Ying was visibly excited, bouncing slightly on the balls of his feet, joy lit in his eyes, but his face blank elsewise. He has taken much from Wangji. Xichen thought out of nowhere. Shaking his thoughts from him as the three of them walked through the pathway together towards Uncle. it was always interesting. To see the awe as they walked forwards. There was a noticeable 3rd addition this time, however, and many gazed in awe at the person they had only heard rumors about. Despite their strict insistence on no gossip, most everyone from the lower town had seen Wangji take Wei WuXian away. There was not many reasons someone would be taken in such a manner. There were many rumors on the topic, though what exactly had happened was still vague, purposefully. When Wangji had gone to town with Wei Wuxian, many had made note of the elegant, kind, young master from the Lan Sect, particularly the inn keeper who had begged aid that WuXian had helped.

They looked quite beautiful standing up besides Uncle together, XiChen thought, though most of the eyes were on Wei Ying, with his embroidered robes and his hair down in a ribbon instead of head dress. Wangji, Uncle, and XiChen allowed Wei Ying to side step a lot of the general customs, as they were not a part of the rules, and they wanted him to feel comfortable with them. It was most particularly Wangji who brought them up, however, and XiChen could not help but be thankful Wei Ying was getting more comfortable with them as the time went on.

The ceremony went decently. XiChen was the one to accept the gifts, Wangji and Wei Ying mostly stood by Uncle as he called the sects up. Everything was proceeding quite nicely until WuXian jolted all of a sudden, grasping onto Wangji for stability. His eyes stared out, XiChen paused in moving towards the Jiang procession just as Wei Ying seemed to flinch backwards in to Lan Zhan. Not a few moments later a group led by Wen Chao came waltzing into the pavilion.