30

SiZhui sat with Lan XiChen, the both of them taking turns sipping their tea, waiting for Lan Wangji and Wei Ying to return. SiZhui had informed Wei Ying of the fact that XiChen wished to meet them after class, but Wei Ying had said that he wanted to check on the disciples that had been guarding the barrier, and Lan Zhan had given SiZhui a look that warned him against refusing, so he had simply decided to inform XiChen instead. It was nice to see that Wangji was protective over someone, it was even nicer to see that Wei Ying was getting the protection that he needed. He had come a long way from the stuttering, scared, homeless teenager that SiZhui had first seen. He was proud of that, as well. Happy that he was getting comfortable, and getting himself settled. 

So how could he refuse? He would not have been able to refuse either way. He respected Lan Wangji far too much to refuse him, particularly in the face of such a daring glare that he had been given. Furthermore, he understood Wei WuXian. He was worried, no matter what they spoke on at this meeting, he would not be capable of concentrating if he was too worried about what was going on with the guards that the Wens had messed with to focus on what XiChen was saying. It was important to him, and because it was important to Wei Ying, it was important to Lan Wangji. How could he refuse?

"I think Xian-ge is going to ask to strengthen the barriers, Gege," SiZhui revealed, sighed over his tea. 

"I know," XiChen said, a smile on his face. "I have already spoken to Uncle about it. Although he was not incredibly...fond of the idea, he has been forced to see the reality of the potential consequences of a weak barrier. We have too many people here that rely on us for safety to not strengthen our wards, even if they were set up originally by our ancestors. I said quite clearly that leaving the wards to get progressively weaker in an attempt to honor our ancestors in reality does the exact opposite. We spoke to the elders about this as well. I was quite clear when I said that our ancestors would be horrified to know that it took very minimal effort as shown today to break through our wards and that it potentially endangers everyone inside the Cloud Recesses." 

"I take it they did not exactly like that." SiZhui said with a hidden smile. XiChen-ge was quite interesting at the best of times. Yes, he was like Wangji in the idea that he was upright, righteous, and someone that many looked to for guidance and advice, however, despite Uncle Qiren's denial, Wangji was also someone who had a certain...disregard, for the rules. Not breaking them, necessarily, but certainly finding loopholes in them should it benefit him. XiChen shared that with Wangji, and it was something that, as of yet, had been undiscovered. 

"No," XiChen admitted with a hint of laughter in his voice. "They did not. At all. However, I find it important to note that it is irresponsible to neglect our wards for the sake of the ancestors having placed them there to begin with." He shrugged elegantly as he sipped from his cup. "Therefore I wish to speak with Wangji and WuXian about this. They had long wanted to ask about strengthening the wards." 

"They have?" SiZhui asked. He had not heard anything about that. XiChen gave him a small smile and a nod, placing his cup down on the saucer. 

"They have not said anything as of yet, worried about the reactions Uncle and the Elders may have at the suggestion. I know that they have wanted to talk about it, though, and so I took the initiative to take advantage of what happened today to sway them to allow it. The fact that Wei Ying is now Wangji's betrothed means that he is also more than welcome to partake in the discussion of how to do so. Although, him being Wangji's ward in the first place would allow that." 

"He is yours now, though," XiChen gave a smile. 

"Yes, he is. I have talked to Uncle about when we should inform the Cultivation world of the two's betrothal." 

"What did he say?" SiZhui asked, curious, and as always, somewhat nosy. XiChen gave a small laugh. He was quite a bit like his friend, JingYi, although perhaps a bit more subtle than JingYi was as of now. 

"He said that it would be best to wait until the end of the Lectures." SiZhui suddenly seemed a bit worried. "What is it?" 

"I worry about the Jiang Sect Heir. While it is clear that Xian-ge is a member of the Lans, he does not wear the ribbon, which makes me worry about backlash. the Jiang Heir has already tried to go against Xian-ge a few times, and gotten angry at him as well." 

"It would seem as though he is much like his mother." XiChen thought contemplatively. "I will speak to Uncle about your worries, and perhaps we can ensure some form of a loophole where the announcement sooner would not be that big of a deal." 

"Oh, I think perhaps they are befriending the Nie Sect heir." 

"Oh?" 

"I saw Xian-ge talk Wangji-ge into spending time with him. Although I am not entirely certain why Wangji-ge agreed, they both walked to check in on the Wen siblings together." XiChen nodded. This information was quite interesting. 

"That, I believe, is a good thing." XiChen said softly. "Wangji had been a bit too recluse. It would seem that A-Xian is slowly, but surely unfolding him. Nie Huaisang was a good person to begin to draw Wangji into a more social circle." 

"Why do you say that?" SiZhui questioned, a bit confused. He did not know much about the Heirs, other than what Wangji and XiChen spoke to him, which was often not much. It bordered on gossip, so they had to be quite careful. 

"Nie Huaisang is quite the gentle character, if a bit rambunctious. He attended the lectures last year. It is regrettable that he failed the exams and ended up having to repeat a year, but I am beginning to think that this may have been for the best. We shall have to keep a close eye on him, though. Young Master Nie may seem a bit daft and dazed at the best of times, but he is quite observant. Should he come up to you, be very careful how you speak, and what you say. I daresay that with WuXian and Wangji hanging around him you will likely be introduced as well."