Part 28

XiChen dutifully moved to find people to regulate and check the barriers, not questioning that Wei Ying knew something was wrong with them. Lan Zhan glanced towards him worried. He knew that Wei Ying, in order to have felt the barrier, would have had to aid in constructing them, but from what he had managed to guess he had nothing to do with the barriers. He had only entered and exited the Cloud Recesses a few times, there was not even many chances for him to do so outside of Lan Wangji's view, which meant that he had to have actively done it with him standing there, which meant that it would have been unbearably fast. He could not really decide if that horrified him, shocked him, or put him in awe. He decided not to really dwell on it.

"I reinforced the outer edge of the barrier, just in case." Wei Ying whispered to Lan Zhan, who nodded contemplatively. He had not broken the rule this way. Tampering with the barrier was a huge violation, but if he reinforced the outer layer, not only had he not technically tampered with it, but it had not even been truly attached to the barrier itself, it was just a layer of thin protection. Wei Ying was...quite astounding in his own way really, though he was surprised that they had not noticed it. He knew that Wei Ying's spiritual energy was red, then again, it is possible that is only when using resentful energy. He was not really one hundred percent sure what his energy looked like when using spiritual energy. "It did not do much in the end." Wei Ying said softly, humming to himself as he thought things through. "Do you think we can talk to Master Lan and First Master XiChen and see if I can try and make strengthening talismans for the barrier?" Wei Ying asked Lan Zhan who simply nodded once. He smiled, thankful, latching onto the second jade, unaware, or uncaring, of the several guest disciples who were currently staring at them.

SiZhui stood up, moving the guest disciples forwards ushering them out of the pavilion.

"Young Master," SiZhui paused, glancing towards the person who had spoken, it was Nie Huaisang. "Why weren't you up there with them?" That had the rest of the heir's pausing, glancing towards SiZhui who smiled ducking his head nervously.

"I am too young. Furthermore, XiongZhang had requested the two specifically."

"Why is that?" Jiang Cheng cut in, causing multiple people to glare at him. He did not cower back though, just pushing through to stare at SiZhui who just smiled politely, though a bit strained.

"They represent the sect, after all. While I may be the third brother, I declined, it makes more sense for Er-ge to stand up with XiongZhang, and he shall not do so if A-Ying is not with him." SiZhui said with a simple shrug.

"A-Ying?" SiZhui just smiled.

"Classes begin tomorrow at six am, make sure that you are here on time." He turned just as Wei Ying was rushing out of the room, glancing around wildly before noting where SiZhui was and walking over.

"SiZhui, there you are, I just about had a heart attack!" Wei Ying pouted to which SiZhui fondly smiled, amused. "I need to study you," He said simply. SiZhui raised his brow but Wei Ying just held out his hand demanding.

"Er-Ge," Lan Wangji did not respond to his whine though, simply nodding once. He huffed holding his hand out for Wei Ying who placed both hands over his arm to hide the colour of his energy, and pushed it through, letting it assess the boy. Wei Ying let go when he was satisfied.

"I did not even fight." Wei Ying shook his head.

"It does not matter, the Wens have never visited the Cloud Recesses before, and with Wen RoHan practicing..." Wei Ying silenced himself quickly, upon noticing there were other disciples. "The point is that you could have easily been injured but unknowingly. Therefore, I just wanted to make sure."

"It was Wen Chao." Jin ZiXuan scoffed. "I doubt he could do anything if he wanted to." Wei Ying turned to look at the Jin Heir, staring at him unblinkingly, making the other vastly uncomfortable.

"Young Master Jin, I would suggest you never willfully underestimate your opponants. Perhaps Wen Chao actively swung his sword, but who is to say that was not a distraction for something else. I visually assessed SiZhui, but I found myself anxious. He is fine, thankfully." He whispered softly, throwing a small smile towards the young Lan. "Did you finish explaining to them tomorrow's schedule?" He asked, to which SiZhui shook his head.

"Not quite, but almost." Wei Ying smiled.

"Good, don't forget we are meeting for lessons later today!" SiZhui sighed.

"Do you want me to bring JingYi?" Wei Ying bit his lip glancing back at Wangji, he motioned, pulling SiZhui close.

"Best not. Lan Zhan is a bit tense." SiZhui nodded smiling.

"Alright then, I will come by before dinner." Wei Ying smiled turning on his heel and stalking over to Lan Wangji now.

"Come on, we should check on the Wens." He said simply, a small, but almost sad smile on his lips.

"The wens?" Nie Huaisang questioned. "The two that were left here?"

"Yes," Wei Ying said simply, looking at the Nie Heir tilting his head curiously. "You want to come?" He questioned. "Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying said turning to glance at the Ice Jade behind him when he noticed where the young Nie's eyes were looking. "Can he come with us?" Lan Wangji glanced over the Nie, cold eyes assessing him, leaving the Nie to shudder internally.

"Mhm," Was all he said but that was enough for Wei Ying, whose eyes lit up.

"Alright, Young Master Nie, you can come with us."

"What about us?" Jiang Cheng hollered.

"No," Wei Ying said simply, turning to glare at the other two. "I apologize Young Masters, but...this is quite the delicate situation, after all." He said with the most cold and yet police smile that would rival Lan Wangji's own coldness, as he moved forwards, grabbing the young Nie by the sleeve gently tugging him towards him and Lan Wangji. "I fear that you two simply...don't have the...nature that this task requires, after all, first impressions are everything." He said with a small almost mocking bow as he carted Nie Huaisang and Lan Wangji towards the guest rooms.

"Young Master Nie..."

"Uh Just Huaisang is fine," The young Nie master said with a tense laugh. Wei Ying glanced at Lan Wangji who just closed his eyes and cut a small nod before smiling towards the other.

"Ah, well, Huaisang, you have no need to worry about Lan Zhan," That made several times that Lan Wangji had allowed Wei Ying to call him by his birth name, and yet he had not mentioned anything, where as should they ever utter the word Wangji, more often than not they were cut with a glare that could destroy mountains. "He is really a softie, he just looks scary." Huaisang would politely disagree with that one, however he wisely kept quiet as Wei Ying began to list the reasons why Lan Wangji truly should not be feared.

"Wei Ying," Lan Wangji cut in not a few moments into this montage to Lan Wangji. Huaisang stared at the two with wide eyes. Both...Both called each other by their birth names. He did not know what the other's courtesy name was, but it was obvious that it was definitely not Wei Ying. The way Lan Wangji had spoken the name was too...soft...too intimate. Barring that, Ying was not exactly a common courtesy name. Wei Ying had stopped talking at that, huffing a nervous laugh but continuing forwards determinedly.