{Rebuilding Rome}

Sweat dribbled along the curve of her spine- it was a gesture she was used to, but this sent waves of disgusted goosebumps down her back. Sunlight pounded into her skin to the rhythm of the hammer cracking against the nail. Eevee finally whacked the last nail into place before stepping back and swiping off the thick layer of sweat that has puddled on her brow. The stable was finished, a tall room with a half-cut gate and a simple trough made from an old bathtub she had scrubbed within an inch of its life and sealed shut to hold water.

"Finally!" She exclaimed, exhaustion seeping from each panting breath she took. It's been nearly the whole day, but she finally finished her work.

"Looks nice." A deep and husky voice resounded from behind her, the small woman nearly jumping from her skin as she whipped around. Daryl stood with a wicked smirk on his features as he leaned against the fence to the paddock. Bucephalus came trotting up to him to see who he was, the big animal dwarfing the man as he leaned over the fence to start sniffing around his head and shoulders. Daryl had to fight every instinct telling him to shove it off since it might be a walker coming for his throat.

"What is it doin'?" The archer demanded, eyeing his wife as she stood by the barn in amusement.

"He probably smells me on you and now he's trying to decide on whether or not to trust you." She explained as she made her way to the fence line to watch the interaction closer. To date, Bucephalus has been distrusting of anyone except for Eevee. Maybe he'll add another to his circle of friends. The woman reached the fence and pushed up to stand on the bottom rung as she waited for the two males to accept the other one.

Bucephalus plopped his nose against the side of Daryl's head and snorted, the unamused archer watching as hair flipped under the wind and fell into his face. Eevee bit back a laugh as the big draft horse seemed content now that he had completely ruffled and fluffed Daryl's hair, lightly trotting proudly away to find something to snack on.

"I think he likes you." She offered as the archer ran his fingers through his hair to give it back some semblance of its previous style.

"Wonderful." Daryl mumbled to himself. "Rick asked me to come get ya, says he wants to talk with ya 'bout this place." Eevee nodded, she knew that he was going to want to have that discussion at some point.

"I need to feed and water Bucephalus first." The woman said as she climbed back down from the fence. They didn't have much in the way of horse feed, but she can make do with the supplies they scrounged up until she can make a proper run. Stealing a hose from the closest neighbor, she found the nearest spigot across the street. Getting the hose situated, she dropped the end in the tub and twisted the spout to life.

As the water filled the tub, arms snaked around her waist as hot air blasted across the back of her neck. Daryl lightly hummed as he planted small kisses to the back of her neck, focusing his affection on the scar she seemed to dislike so much as Eevee melted into his touch like butter on toast. Daryl tilted his head a bit to move to the side of her throat, an impish chuckle shaking his body as he spotted the dark hickey he had marked out.

"We should probably get back before everyone gets worried and come looking." Eevee warned and the archer lowly grumbled at her words, he knew she was right- she was always right- but he couldn't bring himself to peel away from her skin.

"Are you feeling okay, Alley Cat?" She asked as she reached up to hold the back of her hand to his forehead to check for a fever.

"What makes ya say that, Ghost?" He rumbled in a deep husk against her neck.

"You've been much more affectionate lately." He didn't have a fever so he wasn't sick. Daryl lowly rumbled a few unintelligent words as he returned his efforts to the lifted skin of her scar.