{Rat Trap}

Daryl fought down the heat that clawed up his throat and washed through his veins. This was the most compromising position he's ever been in.

"Damn right, I should be in bed not chasin some scrawny little ghost through the halls in the middle of the night. Ya mind?" Eevee tilted her head in confusion, does she mind what? Daryl rolled his eyes and pushed to his feet, forcing the woman to do the same or fall on her ass on the floor.

"You don't understand, you shouldn't be here. In this building." The urgency in her voice made him bite back his snarky retort.

"Why? You know what, hold that thought. Yer comin with me." He grabbed her arm, snarling when she slipped free and backed away.

"I can't. He'll be furious if he knew I was found out." Daryl grumbled under his breath and ran his hand over his face seconds before he jumped forward and scooped her off her feet, tossing her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. She almost fought back, but thought better of it and let him tromp off with her over his shoulder.

"I'm too drunk for this bullshit." Eevee snorted and held an elbow to his lower back so she could prop her head up on her palm. They returned to the piano room and Daryl stopped down to grab up his knife, huffing and tossing the girl around to a more comfortable position.

"My legs work you know, I am capable of walking."

"Yeah, and runnin off like you did before. I ain't chasin your ponytail through the shadows again." She smirked widely and twisted around to try and catch a glimpse of his face.

"Afraid you can't keep up?" Daryl snorted and rolled his eyes but refused to take the bait. She probably was right too, she was like a fucking shadow- there one second and gone the next.

"How'd you find me anyway?" They must've reached their destination because he shoved her off his shoulder, Eevee just barely getting her feet beneath her so she wouldn't face plant to the tile.

"Yer voice carries. Seen ya dartin 'round the corners since I got here. Shit didn't add up." Eevee nodded along with his words, he seemed like an intelligent person- despite how simple-spoken he growls. Now out of the shadows, she took this second to observe him closer. She guessed he was roughly six foot- probably shorter- his hair hung down in scrags and clumps, face almost a permanent scowl like he was planning the escape route of every room, everything about this Daryl character screamed wild animal. Except the eyes.

They were fierce and almost perpetually angry, but she could catch the glimpses of the human beneath. And it wasn't an angry wild man, it was a scared and timid little boy. All in all he reminded her of an alley cat lost in the rain.

"Ya gonna keep starin? Or do ya wanna keep yer teeth?" Eevee blinked a few times shook her head clear before breaking his glare and looking instead at their surroundings.

"Why haven't we gone anywhere?" Daryl continued his glare before looking up at the sound of pattering feet against the tile. She followed his gaze and tensed in preparation to run, glaring at Daryl as he reached out and slipped a finger in her belt loop to keep her from escaping. The figure that shuffled drunkenly around the corner was a large and broad man that almost filled the small hallway with his shoulders. He glanced up, spotted Daryl standing in the hall with his fingers tethering a strange woman to his side, and drew a handgun to take aim at the stranger with a snarl.

"Who the fuck is that?!" His barrel followed the woman across the hall where she slipped behind the larger frame of Daryl, who simply glared at the man.

"Best get that thing outta my face!" Their arguing pulled more into the hallway, women and a few children mostly. Soon the men came running, guns drawn and ready for the worst. A wiry man with curly hair and an aura of authority pushed through the crowd and stood between Daryl and the trigger-happy gunman.