Part 2: School Starts

Chapter 11

Just like that the two weeks were up. It was Friday, September 8th. That meant it was the start of the new school year. It was also the start of my junior year at Smith High. Also meant I had to start waking up early in the morning.

The last two weeks went relatively quick. Nothing dramatic or new happened.. I basically did what I was doing for the whole summer. Dashaun and I were hanging out for the rest of vacation. Well I guess there was one change that happened. Jessica was with us most of the time.

Jessica in the last two weeks hung out with Dashaun and I more frequently. Every time Dashaun and I went somewhere or did something Jessica was usually there. I actually did not mind it. We were her only friends since she got here for the time being. What kind of made me upset was the way Dashaun was acting.

Every time we were going to chill, Dashaun would come to my house even if the place we were going was up near his house. He always wanted to invite Jessica. Jessica usually accepted unless her and my mom had plans already. That would make Dashaun a little upset.

Jessica coming along was not that bad. She did not want to be bored. Dashaun was the problem. When Jessica was around, his actions changed. Everything he did was to impress Jessica it seemed. Like when she came with us to Raymond Park. I was surprised she did not leave from the smell actually. She complained about it once and then she just sat on the bench and watched us play. She sometimes moved to a new place I guess to get away from the smell a little.

Dashaun tried to put on a show just for Jessica. We were there to train, but he acted like he was playing for a college recruit sometimes. When I played him one-on-one he was aggressive. He tried to drive to the hoop. One time he tried to dunk knowing he can't. On defense he tried to press me knowing that wasn't going to work. Other times he show-boated. When he made a shot he did a dance or something. When it was just the two of us he never played like that. It had to be because of Jessica. I do not just say that because I think that either. He was dedicating all of his shots to her. Before he shot a three he said 'this is for you Jessica'. He only made 3/10 threes too. Not only was it embarrassing, but it was really annoying. The truth was he was getting nothing out of the training when Jessica was there.

That wasn't the only thing. Dashaun and I last week were going to see the new movie Avengers. It was like our last bro day you can call it I guess. Of course he managed to get Jessica to come along. I thought he was pushing it. He managed to convince me that two guys going to the movies were weird. Well not convince me, but finally got me to submit. We're best buds so it was fine, but still a girl coming along was fine. I just thought we was going to chill as bros.

The problem, like always, was him. He sat next to her in the movies and I was somehow isolated. I was fine with that. I was not going to talk anyway. After the movie it continued. Jessica tried to talk to me about the movie. I could only say two words because Dashaun kept jumping in the conversation. We went to McDonalds after to eat. Even then I couldn't talk to her. I was feeling like a third wheel with my best friend and... I guess friend.

Even with all this nonsense I kept my cool with him. I understood what he was trying to do. I guess he really did like her. I still don't think he loved her though. I still don't know how Jessica felt about this. I did not want to ask Jessica about how she felt about Dashaun if he did not ask me to do so. I did not want to mess up what progress he thought he was having. Personally, I did not think he was making any progress. At least that is what I thought from the actions of Jessica. She did not seem she was liking him anymore or any less. Then again girls never make clear signs of who they like. I don't see how she could like him. All he did when he was around her was talk, talk, talk, show-off, and talk some more. I think he was trying way too hard to get this girl. Now it was time for school and he had no girl.