Chapter 15

"Our first game is December 16. We have two weeks to get better. Half the team is new so we have a lot of work to do before Riverside."

This was the coach's introduction on the first day of practice. Two weeks was a surprisingly short time before our first game. We usually don't play the same team the football team played too. That was a little weird. Coach probably knows how good or bad Riverside was, but the team does not.

That was another problem, the team. Coach was right, six new players is an issue. It's hard for six players to play a full game by themselves. We have to practice to get team chemistry and learn the new players tendencies. I might have to step my game up as well.

"Alright. Let's get started." said Coach Jackson. "10 laps around the gym. Go." Then he blew the whistle.

Practice is the same everyday except for pre-game. All the coaches, Head coach Jackson, asst. coach Baxter, Defensive coach Carl Andrew, they all love consistency. First is the ten laps around the gym. Next we shoot free throws for a half hour. Just free throws. Next forty minutes we go over defense. The next forty minutes we went over offense and finally we did some conditioning drill. That is an everyday practice, fast and efficient.

Practice was going fast. Before I knew it we were going into offense. By offense I was able to know all the names of the new players on the team. The 6'5 Junior Frank Johnson, The freshmen Jordan Romeer were the two I noticed first because I already knew they were going to be on the team. The other four were all sophomores, Blake Allen, Stewart Harvey, Andrew Salem, and Deon Smith. Jordan was clearly the best out of all of them so far. He was quick, had good awareness, and was a natural. Now it's time to see how they do in offense.

We have a passing offense. We make every pass possible to get the open shot. We also keep moving on offense. If we out run them on offense they'll get tired faster and that's when the plays start to work. The whole point of our offense is teamwork. That's what coach Jackson wanted to emphasize today. We split into teams of five with a sub. We was going over how to set up on offense. Power Forward and Center in the paint, Point at top, Small Forward on the left corner, Shooting guard in right corner. If it was not a fast break that's how we set up. After that we could move, set picks and all that stuff. The purpose is for the point guard to see the floor real quick and call a play. We went over that for ten minutes and then it was time to play.

My team was Jordan at Point guard, Dashaun at small forward, Dameek at center, Frank at PF and I played shooting guard. Coach wanted to see what the Freshman got while leading the offense. We got the opening tip off. We set up the offense like Coach told us. Time to see what the freshmen do.

He dribbled the ball for ten seconds. I ran from the corner to go help him, but he did a crossover move to get pass Deon and did a hop step to the basket for a lay-up. It happened so fast. Still he kept the ball in his hand for too long.

On defense we were solid. I guarded Adam. They passed him the ball in the corner. He moved it out and set me up. I was not going to let him go pass me so I backed up a step. He noticed and started a drive. I drove with him, but he stepped back. I stopped fast, but not fast enough. I put my hand up, but he scored over me.

Back on offense it was more of the same form Jordan. Hold the ball then he takes it himself.

On defense I did not allow Adam to get the ball with an easy passing lane. That forced Deon to hold the ball longer. Deon tried to do a quick pass inside to Blake. Jordan was faster. He put his hands up and deflected it. He bobbled the ball which allowed the offense to run back on D, however we were already in front of the play. Deon rushed down. I cut to the basket for an easy lay-up. Jordan stopped at the three point line and shot. He made it. What the hell is he doing? It was an open shot, but why not take the easy two?