001

Chapter One:
Bye Blood

Reese Ta'vian Jackson Jacksonville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida

Reese watched as his sister's coffin was lowered into the ground, it was finally sinking in that she was now dead. Reneé wasn't alive anymore, he didn't know what to do with himself.

His mama and his sister wouldn't get to see him graduate.

His father, Keith, went around greeting all the family members and listening to all their 'I'm sorry for your loss' and 'My Condolences' but Reese didn't want to hear it. He was sick of coming to funerals; Renee's funeral hurt even more than his mom's because he actually had grown up with her. They'd developed a real bond that no one could come between.

Whereas his mother had died when he was too young for him to even remember her. It broke his heart to say that but it was true, he had no attachment to his mother whatsoever.

Glancing up ahead, Reese could even see Bico's gravestone from here. First his mom, then his best friend and now his sister. He didn't even want to think about losing his pops because he'd go crazy.

Crazier than he already was.

Ignoring his father shouting his name, Reese left the graveyard and walked towards his car. Slipping inside, he grabbed a blunt and lit it up before taking a huge drag and exhaling it. If he'd stayed there any longer, he would've broken apart.

Reese knew better than to show his feelings in front of people that didn't give a fuck about him.

Pearl Essence McClay
Jacksonville, Florida

"I've just moved back here, Mama." Pearl spoke softly before she sipped some water.

She stared at her mother's gravestone before smiling, she'd long gotten over her mother's death. Pearl had learned to turn her grief into positivity and she could now talk to her mother easily. Although it was hard, incredibly difficult at times, she persevered and she came out stronger than ever.

Pearl had just moved to Jacksonville from New York to live with her grandmother, her relationship with her father was rocky—and that was putting it nicely. She needed a break so she'd decided to finish her senior year and do college in Florida, after all, she didn't like the negative vibes that her father brought.

"It's still as ghetto as I remember but NY ain't any better." She giggled to herself, "I think I'm gon' finally get a booty cuh granny's cooking is next level."

She continued to speak to her mother until she finally realised that it was time to go. Standing up and dusting herself up, Pearl walked out of the graveyard but not before sadly glancing at the group of people that were at a certain gravestone—a funeral had just happened.

Sighing, she shook her head as she walked over to her car and slipped inside. She drove back home, which was in the suburbs, and went inside the house.

"Girl you ought to knock or announce yo self, I was about to smack your head with this bat." Granny said as she held her chest, she looked scared as hell. A huge bat was in her hands which scared Pearl a bit.

Pearl simply laughed, "I'll remember that, granny. That bat look kinda scary."

"Your food in the oven, I know that's what yo hungry ass was about to ask." She said before she pinched Pearl's cheek and then walked away.

Slipping down on the way, she ran to the kitchen and saw her food in the oven. She opened it quickly, grabbed the plate and shut it before walking over to the spacious living room.

Pearl's family was well-off, they weren't millionaires but her father was very successful. He'd moved his mother to the suburbs while he lived in New York with his wife and son. She hated all of them with a passion.

"I ain't 'bout to let no coon ruin my appetite." She said to herself before she slumped onto the sofa and turned on the tv.

Her mouth watered as the scent of the food engulfed her nostrils. She was absolutely starving.

The large tv before her was on the channel with the news and since she wasn't really focused on the tv, she just let it play in the background as she attacked her food.

Her granny had made soul food since she knew it was Pearl's favourite.

A building was set on fire last night, the police believe that the house was what was called a 'trap house'. Authorities believe that there were many illegal drugs and weapons in the building.

They have reason to believe that a rival gang had started the fire.

Pearl glanced up to see that the building really was in flames on tv. She couldn't help but sigh as she watched this story on the news. This shit was exactly what she'd expected.

She had arrived in Jacksonville.

-XX-

This book is about Reese Ta'vian Jackson, who is the brother of Reneé, and Pearl. They are the main characters, not the couple. Once again, if it ain't for you..get stepping.