017

Chapter Seventeen:
Friendships Tested

Pearl Essence McClay Jacksonville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida

"Just take a right turn here." Pearl said for the fifth time, Blanco glanced at her before hesitantly listening to her. She'd been telling him to turn right for the past 10 minutes and they were just going in a circle.

Then again, what did he expect when he decided to take directions from a drunk?

"Do you even know where you're going?" Blanco asked, he was getting impatient and the streets weren't safe at night for them to just be driving around in circles.

"No." Pearl admitted, hanging her head low. She had a banging head ache and she felt so heavy, the alcohol didn't do what she wanted it to. Had Kirari been there, she wouldn't have had to drink so much just to feel happy on her own birthday.

Blanco's eyes trailed from the road to Pearl, you could just feel the disappointment radiating off her. She clearly wasn't happy right now, which just made it worse because it was her 18th. It made Blanco remember his own 18th birthday, even though he was poor, his boys still made his birthday special.

This was his chance to do something special for someone else.

Making a U-turn, Blanco began driving to the destination. His goal filled his mind as he stepped harder on the acceleration, it was almost 11pm and her birthday was almost over. She had to genuinely laugh before midnight.

Pearl stared sadly, her heart was heavy as she watched the darkness slowly fade and the car turning in front of a gated area. She watched as Blanco entered the pin before the huge gates opened themselves, a loud noise echoing as they did so.

The drive towards the actual mansion was a long drive, which showed just how much land this man had. Parking in front of the stairs, Blanco turned off the car before he stepped out and rushed to open the door for Pearl.

She stepped out of the car nervously, forcing herself to sober up since she was in an unknown location. Her eyes widened as she admired the humongous house in front of her, it was wide and luxurious. Pearl heard Blanco lock the door before he began walking up the stairs, she just decided to follow him.

The man pushed the towering door open, revealing a warm and cream-colour interior. Pearl shyly walked inside, feeling the warmth of the house. Every step they took echoed which reminded her of the sheer size of this house.

"Where are we going?" Pearl asked, although he hadn't shown her any signs of harming her. He was still a stranger and she was still very much in danger. They were two people who just stumbled upon each other and here she was now, at his house.

"To the cinema." He replied shortly. Blanco walked through a long corridor before opening the door at the end of it. Pearl peeled inside to see a whole cinema in there. A wide smile graced her face as she thought about all the possible movies she could watch on here.