Chapter 21

*

There was someone else on their floor and no security in sight - this was Jungkook's first thought when he saw the girl walking down the hallway.

He had just finished his shower, and had stepped out to go downstairs, for a quick dinner.

It was then that he saw her, and couldn't help but frown at her.

Jungkook was too far to get a good look at her face, under the dim lights of the hallway. Nor did he want to shout or ask for her identification in case she was one of their stalkers.

He watched her retreating back, certain that the girl wasn't part of the staff.

She wasn't wearing the uniform meant for staff, nor did she have any cleaning equipment on her. Still, it wasn't the attire that set off alarm bells in his head. It was the way, she kept going from door to door, trying to open it, and then quickly stepping back after not finding the right one.

The girl didn't know her way around, she didn't know which rooms were occupied by the boys, and that put her at the top of Jungkook's suspect list.

Their staff was always informed, about their rooms, and which members were staying together.

She wandered around, opening and closing the doors, softly, but didn't bother checking behind her to see Jungkook following her every move.

Either she didn't care to be caught, or was certain the hallway was going to remain empty for some time.

How did she come to that particular conclusion, Jungkook had no idea, and he didn't allow himself to dwindle on it.

What mattered most now, was their safety.

He needed to find out, who this girl was? What was her purpose, in coming here? And who was she searching for behind those close doors?

"Excuse me?" Jungkook called out.

The girl didn't stop to answer him, but continued with her search. Jungkook waited for another minute before he decided to step into the light.

Taking a couple steps towards the stranger, he called out again, louder this time. "Hey? Who are you?"

The girl paused, a hand raised towards the door, but she didn't open it. Instead, she stayed facing the door, and only tilted her head in his direction, wide eyes staring at him.

"Uh...I'm-"

Jungkook started walking towards her, asking the next question, before he even reached her side. "Who gave you access to this floor?"

"I-I was s-searching for the restroom." the girl said, voice soft, and stumbling on the words. If Jungkook wasn't close enough, he might not have heard her, at all.

"The restroom?" Jungkook frowned and looked at the girl.

Now, that he was standing before her, he could see the intruder under a better light.

The girl was short, coming up to his shoulder. Pale, freckled skin glowed with a soft yellow hue from the overhead light of the hallway, and dark auburn red hair framed her small face. She stared up at him, questions swimming within those light green eyes.

"Yes-" the girl nodded, before matching his frown with one of her own. "I was searching for the restroom."

"Is that a problem?"

No problem at all, except there were no common restrooms on this floor, Jungkook thought, and again found himself staring down at the girl.

She didn't look like the kind of person to rob others, but then again, one could never judge a book by it's cover. For all Jungkook knew, this girl could be a serial killer on the run, and the maknae could be her next victim...right?