Chapter 26

[Unedited]

**

Three...two...one- 

Nora almost stumbled, as she reached the last of the stairs leading to the rooftop, and quickly caught hold of the doorknob. 

She didn't bother to check whether the door was locked or not, and brought down her sword, slicing the door into two.

Nora stepped through, kicking the pieces of what was once a heavy metal door to the side, and looked around.

Amidst the fading darkness, Nora could make out a small silhouette of a person, running ahead of her. At this early hour, so close to dawn, no one would bother coming to the rooftop, let alone run around like a maniac.

It had to be the Furie.

Nora took off, ignoring the slow, agonizing pain and burning sensation in her leg.

There would be time, later, when she could finally sit down and treat her wounds and not be disturbed by anyone. But that time wasn't now.

She was the guardian assigned to protect the boys, and she had failed in doing her job...till now.

"Not anymore." Nora whispered, a smile lighting up her face.

Between one leap and the next, Nora threw her sword into the air, calling forth her dimensional barrier.

The Furie was still a couple feet from her, unaware of what Nora had done, yet.

Out of the corner of her eye, Nora watched her barrier shimmer briefly, before settling around them - an additional layer of air between them and the real world.

The barrier expanded and then contracted around them, cutting off all sounds from the outside world.

It was in that second, the Furie noticed the change.

She slowed down, her head snapping from side to side, eyes taking in her surroundings and let out a low growl.

Nora stopped chasing the Furie, and stood in the middle of her barrier.

Another annoyed growl, and now the Furie was waving it's hands in front of itself, as if trying to touch the air. To another human, it would have seemed as if the woman had lost her mind, but Nora knew what she was doing.

The Furie was searching for an opening in her barrier.

Too bad for her, there was none.

Her mirror dimension was one of the few things Nora was proud of. No one could break through her barrier unless she allowed it.

The Furie was her prey now.

Nora took two steps back, and then sprinted towards the Furie, aiming her sword for the creature's back.

The woman turned, eerie blue light glowing under her skin, making her face distorted and eyes blown wide in surprise.

A loud crunch and the woman's mouth fell open in a hair-raising scream.

If it weren't for the barrier, the entire city would have heard that horrible sound. But inside it, within the mirror dimension Nora had created, the Furie's voice was cut-off with a flick of her wrist.

"It's no use-" Nora said, chuckling at the sight of the Furie thrashing and grappling at the barrier, looking for a way to escape.

"You will be dead in another minute." Nora raised her sword again, preparing to deliver the death blow.