Chapter 34

[Unedited]

** 

His past experience talking to Nora's friend, Sumi, had been somewhat of a nightmare. 

Namjoon had wanted to avoid a second encounter.   

But given their current circumstances, he wasn't sure if Sumi would let him off, this time either.

He dialed in Sumi's number, and waited for the girl to answer her phone.  

Yoongi stood to the side, back against the wall, and a foot toeing at the frayed edges of the pastel green carpet. 

His hyung was trying to give him some form of privacy, without leaving the room. 

But Namjoon knew better. 

He knew that his voice would carry over to Yoongi, no matter how softly he whispered the words. His hyung would be listening in on the conversation, whether he wanted to or not. 

And if he was being honest - with a second Furie attacking them, within such a short time frame, it was better to keep Yoongi and the boys in the loop, and warn them about a possibility of a third monster sighting.

"Hello? Nora? Is that you?" The ringing stopped, and a familiar voice came online. 

"Hello, is this Sumi-ssi?" Namjoon asked.

There was a brief silence, before Sumi spoke again. This time there was an edge to her voice.

"Yes, who is this? Why are you calling from Nora's number? Where is she?"

Namjoon was transported back to his first meeting with the myth, and her friend yelling at him through the phone. 

Those panicked moments, when Namjoon had stared at the myth's bleeding leg, loss for words and helpless, those worried thoughts about the girl dying on his watch, the sight of someone else's blood on his hands - it came back to terrorize him.

"This is Kim Namjoon." he said, and ignored the ache in his heart. 

Nora had healed back then. 

He, Namjoon had managed to get help on time, and the myth hadn't died. He wasn't responsible for anyone's death.

He shook his head, and tried to concentrate on the task at hand. "W-We met before, when Nora was injured, a-a-"

"Namjoon?" A pause, and then Sumi was shouting in Namjoon's ears, making him cringe.

"Kim Namjoon?! You're one of the boys, Nora was guarding right?! Why are you calling me at this hour?!"

"Did something happen to her again?!"

"Is she hurt?!"

"Ye-" Namjoon didn't get to say another word. Sumi was back to screaming, and biting his head off in the process.

Out of the corner of his eyes, Namjoon saw Yoongi giving him a curious look, one eyebrow raised in question. No doubt, he could hear Sumi yelling over Namjoon's voice. 

"Is she alright?" Yoongi asked, and Namjoon struggled to find the right answer.

Even if he couldn't hear what Sumi was saying, Yoongi had already picked up on the distress and worry in her voice.

"She will be alright." Namjoon said, but couldn't stop a wince from escaping his lips, when the girl's shouts increased in volume.

He sighed and shook his head at the phone.