Chapter 18: The Ring Thou Hast

*(Y/n)'s POV continued*

We all stared at the green, ominous ring that she had on her finger. It was strange and had a weird skull on it. "That...officially falls under the category of "None of any of your businesses"." I rolled my eyes. I scoffed, shaking my head as well from her response.

Danny walked up to the stairs and said, "Hey guys." Sam looked at me and gave me a signal. I looked at her for a minute as if to say, "What do you want me to do about it?" Even Tucker was giving me a look that told me to go talk to him.

I sighed, and got up from the couch. I removed the blanket and honestly, I felt more comfortable there than I am now, walking over to him. "Can I talk to you for a second?" I asked quickly and nervously. He didn't have a chance to respond either when I hurried him to the closet. Sam and Tucker smiled, but then they were surprised when I hauled them up to their feet too. "Don't give me that, you're both in this, too." I shoved them both in the closet and Sam shut the door behind us, leaving Valerie out.

I turned on the lights and Danny was angry with us. "Yo, man." Tucker started to say. "You do know that the minute you turn into Danny Phantom, she's going to shoot first and ask questions never."

I was sitting next to Danny, but I was also angry with him. "She's not going to find out!" Danny whispered.

"How do you know she's not snooping right now!?" I asked. "What if that ring on her finger is some sort of ghost detection device?"

"Ring?" He asked. "W-what are you talking about, (Y/n)?" Danny opened the door to peek out, and saw the ring on Valerie's left hand. He noticed the evil skull on the front. Valerie looked up and waved at him with a smile. I noticed he was waving back at her and he hurried back inside. He frowned at me. "Oh man, that's gotta be the ring that Fright Knight's looking for. Vlad must've given it to her."

"Isn't he a little old for her?" Tucker asked.

"He's obviously using her to hide the ring from the Fright Knight." Danny said. "Something's going on with that ring, and we need to make the ghosts tell us what it is."

When Danny stood up, he changed back into his ghost form. He grabbed my hand, and grabbed at Tucker's shirt who held Sam's wrist so that we could all become invisible. We flew away together.

~~~

"I'd much rather kick your butt, but this works too!" Danny yelled as he activated the Fenton Thermos. We arrived at the box store a while later and he aimed it at Skulker, but something seemed a little...off. Danny got punched in the face by the actual Skulker. The cardboard Skulker fell backwards.

"Did you think you could actually sneak up on me?" He asked with an evil grin.

Sam drove the Specter Speeder that we managed to take from the lab earlier and into Skulker before he could approach Danny. He knocked right into it and fell back. We watched as Danny flew up from the floor to throw Skulker up in the air. Skulker's wings stopped him from flying further away, and he pressed a button on his suit. A net captured Danny whole, but Danny decided to take Skulker with him inside of the net. He made a giant arc around the room and phased out of it, and Skulker landed on the ground. One of the props in the store, a baseball helmet landed on top of him, as well as conveniently a baseball bat and ball fell to the ground.

Skulker swung the baseball and Danny got hit with it. "Now, ix-nay on the ight-fay, Skulker." I heard Pointdexter say. "Maybe he can help us!" We looked over to him on the back of Aragon with all of the other ghosts I've fought before.

"Please!" Danny pleaded. "Just tell me what's going on! Let me help you guys." Suddenly, Skulker let him down. Danny smiled and punched him right in the nose with satisfaction.

"Danny, how is that helping?" I asked.

"It's payback, (Y/n)." Danny said, flexing his wrist. "It helps me on the inside."

Later that evening, once things settled down finally. We gathered around the box store with all the other ghosts including Ember, the Lunch Lady, Walker, Box Ghost even, etc. There was a little fire lamp in the middle of the circle. Sam, Tucker, and I were sitting on the inflatable raft and Danny sat next to me on a fake stump.

"It was many years ago, before you, before me, before most of us." Skulker began. "His name was Pariah Dark, and he ruled the Ghost Zone. He was a ghost of such power and magnitude. Only he could control the energy's contain within the crown of fire and the ring of rage. When wearing both, he could do anything. Until a group of powerful, ancient ghosts banded together in the last, ditched effort to defeat the king by locking him within the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep. Or so we thought..."

"He's only been free for a day and he's already destroyed our homes." Ember said.

"And that's without the ring..." Danny said.

"We can't let him get it." I said.

"Right, (Y/n), but I'm going to need all of you to help me put the Ghost King back to sleep. I'll need you to battle against all odds." Danny said, floating next to Skulker. "Untold danger. Doom and destruction. With no guarantee of ever coming back. Who's with me!?"

Every ghost in the room started laughing at him and walked out of the room. "You should probably take that as a no." Tucker said as we frowned up at Danny.

~~~

*Danny's POV*

"You wanted to talk to me?" Vlad asked as I approached him by the Specter Speeder.

"You're putting innocent people in danger." I said. "It stops. Now."

"Really?" He laughed. "You know what I'm up to. Your tiny teen mind has pieced together the rest of my plot."

"That...you stole the ring, woke the ghost king and gave to Valerie to hide it, and now you're waiting for your chance to steal it back?"

"That's pretty good!" Vlad beamed with excitement. "Almost as though I barely consider you a threat." I felt my eyes glowing green with hatred, anger, and every emotion building up inside me. "Oh...there's that temper of yours again. What if Valerie sees us, hm? Have you also spoken to (Y/n) about how you feel about Valerie?" I pointed at the corner street lamp and fired a ghost ray to shut off the light. It was dark now, and all Vlad commented was, "Oh...sugar cookie."

I shoved him out of our ghost shield and changed into Danny Phantom. I fought Vlad outside the streets of my home. I knocked him out of the way before he could change and yelped. "Sneak attack, very good Daniel." Vlad said at the billboard. Finally, he changed into his alter-ego, Vlad Plasmius. "You're getting good like me every battle."

"I am nothing like you!" I shouted, flying up to him.

I shoved him back down to the school grounds at the football field and Vlad smiled, "Oh you're not? Using your powers to get back at people you don't like? Throwing the first punch? You're more like me than you know..." He raised a hand and swatted me towards the sword sinking in the ground. I looked up at it.

"Oh yeah?" I asked, standing up. "If that's the case, then instead of asking you to give the ring back, I'll make you!" My hand wrapped around the hilt of the sword, not knowing what's to come.

"Daniel, no!" Vlad yelled. "The sword is a signal."

"Signal?" I asked as I pulled it off the ground. "A signal of what?"

The ground was rumbling, and Vlad was shocked. Suddenly, we heard the dome cracking above us. We turned invisible as the pieces from the dome fell down to the ground. The dome disappeared and we saw the Ghost Zone. The sky was a dark, green, ominous sky, and we saw portals. Different portals of different realms. The skeletons appeared beside us, and the sword was shaking to be free from my hands. I gritted my teeth in fear and the sword went into the hands of Fright Knight.