Chapter 33: Clockwork

I watched as Danny unleashed his ghostly wail and I continued to cover my ears. It shattered the glasses from the buildings nearby, and did a load of damage to Dark Danny, who crashed right through a building with a car. Suddenly, the ghostly wail faded, and I removed my hands from my ears. I noticed that Danny changed back to normal. He started to crumple, placing his hands on his knees. I had him lean against me.

We looked up, and saw Dark Danny climb out through the rubble. Most of his hair was gone, and his clothes were tattered. "Well, that's it, isn't it?" He asked, angrily.

"Don't come any near!" I shouted at him.

"(Y/n), what's wrong?" He asked, while chuckling. "Everything happens for a reason, doesn't it? Your parents, our argument in the future? I was always destined to kill you!"

"Time's up!" Danny snarled, putting me behind him. I handed him the Fenton Thermos and Dark Danny screamed in defeat as he got sucked inside.

"They'll need to escape!" Dark Danny said before we closed the lid. "And you're too late to save them!"

Danny shut the thermos close. "Oh no..." he said, and we turned around to see the boilers overheating now. Pipes were smoking and everyone stood there in fear. I felt Danny grab my hand and we started running forward. I watched as he changed into his ghost form, but his powers shorted out. "I can't go ghost!"

"Oh no!" I said, as we tripped and fell on the pavement. Danny covered my head and protected me from the explosion, we both started flying off from the ground.

~~~

*Clockwork's POV*

Time out.

I arrived at the second the blast went off and saw the two kids flying from the explosion. They stopped in midair and I placed the medallion around their necks. They blinked several times and looked at each other. They were surprised and they tried to keep balance, but realized they were floating. "Clockwork?" They called out to me and I smiled in my child form.

I pointed to their family and friends, who I saved just in the nick of time. "You saved them!" (Y/n) shouted.

"You saved them?" Danny asked me. "I...I don't understand."

"The Observants look at time like they're watching a parade." I explained to them. "One thing after another, passing by in sequence right in front of them." We floated over the Nasty Burger. "I see the parade from above, all the twists and turns I might...or might not take." I leaned closer to the two kids and changed to the older version of myself.

I winked at them and then the girl said to me, "You knew all of this was going to happen. All of it." The three of us floated down to their families and friends whom I trapped safely in a bubble. "Even this part."

"Everything's the way it's supposed to be." I said. "And here we are, with you, a fourteen year old child, risking everything to save the people you care about." I watched from behind and smiled when the young girl next to him placed her head on his shoulder.

They turned around to me with a smile and that was my cue to leave.

Time in.

~~~

*Danny's POV*

(2 hours earlier)

I found myself standing in the middle of the classroom. I didn't see (Y/n) anymore resting her head on my shoulder and that was where she felt most safe. I looked around and everyone was still taking the C.A.T.

I found Sam and Tucker sitting next to each other, but they weren't moving. Then I saw (Y/n) next to my desk, who was also in concentration, but wasn't moving at all. No one was. I was the only one moving and Clockwork was there. "You've given everyone else in your life a second chance, including that young girl over there." Clockwork said, and I smiled at (Y/n) as my heart skipped a beat. He picked up the C.A.T folder and handed it to me. "Why not you?"

Clockwork spun around with his staff to disappear, and time resumed. (Y/n), Sam, and Tucker looked up at me after filling out a couple answers, and watched me.

"Mr. Fenton?" Mr. Lancer asked me. "Is there a problem?"

"Uhm..." I said. "Actually, Mr. Lancer? There is." I walked up to his desk and placed the folder down. "I...uh, found this the other day, outside the Nasty Burger."

He picked it up and examined it. "Hm...the seal is broken."

"Yeah, I know." I said, truthfully. "And I'm sorry. I couldn't stop myself from looking at the answers, but I'm not a cheater, and I never will be."

"Well, you'll have the chance to prove that when you take the makeup test next week, now, won't you?" Mr. Lancer smiled at me.

"Really?" I asked.

"You'll have plenty of time to study for your makeup test in detention, but for now-" He pointed out the doorway, and I tried to see who was outside waiting for me, but then they were gone.

~~~

Later that day, I was sitting on the steps outside of the school, and the door opened. "So," I sighed, looking up at my big sister. "How long have you known?"

"About the test? For days." Jazz said. "But I'm really proud of you for not cheating."

"Not that." I said, and reached into my pocket. "Your headband. Your note with your handwriting."

"What?" she stammered nervously, "T-That? Oh, (Y/n) did that, I didn't write that! I asked her to help write it out. There also must be dozen of headbands."

"Jazz..." I raised a brow at her.

She took the headband from me and sat down next to me. "Since the Spectra thing. I didn't want to tell you til you wanted to tell me." Jazz admitted. "It's your secret."

"Well," I sighed, and we both gave each other a hug. "It's our secret now, considering Clockwork made it so that only my friends and you know now, too."

"Don't think this means I'll stop being meddling and overprotective!" She pointed out, and I chuckled.

"Wouldn't wanna have it any other way." I said.

"By the way, speaking of secrets. You and (Y/n)." Jazz said, and I looked at her. "When are you going to tell her how you feel about her? She already knows, so you might as well stop leading her on."

I blushed, "Uhm, w-well..." Suddenly, my ghost sense went off. I was going to have to tell her that another time. I was saved by a giant ghost monster chasing after a police car in front of us.

"Go." Jazz rooted for me, and I grinned.

I started running towards the giant green blob, and transformed to my alter-ego. I flew up to the monster. "Hey, giant, green, and gruesome! Guess who's back and better than ever!?"

~~~

*Clockwork's POV*

"You manipulated the boy!" an Observant said to me as we watched the rest of what happened.

"You influenced his choice!" the other said.

"That's a direct violation of the protocol of temporal displacement! In other words..."

"You cheated!" the two Observants said, in distraught.

"True, I cheated." I said, smirking. "But I assure you, his choice was his own."

"You realize the boy is your responsibility now?"

"As is his evil self, now that he exist outside of time?" the other Observant asked.

"I know..." I admitted, setting the thermos where evil Danny laid to rest on a table. "But then, I know everything."