EON CH 09

THE BEAR GUARDIAN.

1774, NOVEMBER 27th, SUNDAY 9:37 pm.

Noche's fist tightened around the grip of her black sword. The tip aimed towards the massive bear-man as her footwork slipped into a defensive stance. Compared to his ultra-greatsword, which was a human-sized slab of metal weighing one ton, her weapon was a toothpick.

Dust trailed from Baxter's door-shaped sword as he raised it off the ground. His expression was solemn; eyes softened on Noche.

"Do no ask for whoMmm-Mm da bu-bells toll," he whispered. "Today, they tuh-toll for mMmm-me."

He raised his sword and got into a fighting stance.

"Fu-for after this fu-fight... The world will bu-become a little less."

Noche's eyes widened as the bear-man appeared before her in an instant – he was fast. Her sword whipped above her head and blocked the falling one-ton slab. Noche's sword sliced through Baxter's weapon like it was butter.

She didn't have time to react as the broken sword slammed into her chest and sent her flying backward. Eyes locked on Noche, Baxter threw the ultra-greatsword towards the ocean as prismatic energy created a replacement weapon.

"G-Glad to see my weapon can still cut anything," Noche coughed. "Although, while it may be indestructible... My bones sure as fuck aren't."

Legs shaking, Noche rose to her feet.

"Better not take another attack like that head-on," she muttered.

Noche ran up towards Baxter, he was fast, but she was faster. She ducked under a swung and lunged forward. He spun around her stab and elbowed the back of her head – Noche tumbled. She rolled to her side as Baxter's blade slammed into where she had been.

The blonde leapt to her feet and swung towards his ribs. Rather than raising his sword to block, the bear dodged backward – the tip cutting tufts of fur. He ripped his ultra-greatsword out of the ground, mud splashed over Noche's face, as the blade slammed into the side of her sword.

She bounced off the ground twice before crashing into the dirt; her bones felt as brittle as glass. Noche's limbs shook like an autumn leaf on a dying tree – Baxter was strong. As she regained her footing and got into her stance, her eyes narrowed on the bear guard.

"Stronger than me... But weaker than a DeathTech soldier?" She muttered. "Why? Why would Edward put him in charge of guarding the castle, if he's weaker than the average soldier?"

Noche charged forward once again – her sword was a flurry of strikes. Each slash came in like a blur, and for each attack, Baxter avoided her blade. He never blocked and he never attacked when Noche's sword was in a position to do the same; Noche's golden eyes widened.

"You're avoiding my sword on purpose!"

Baxter grinned. "Du-Dat sword's sharpness du-defies logic."

"You're smarter than you look," Noche paused. "Smart..."

Her mind recounted the fight she's had with Baxter up until now. He was no sword master, like General Rust, but the man was a skilled fighter. In fact, even though the DeathTech soldiers were significantly stronger, Baxter felt like the bigger threat.

"That's it! That's the reason Edward has you defending the base... You're skilled and smart," Noche muttered. "The DeathTech soldiers are not."

"Duh-Dat is correct. Duh-The soldiers are drones..." He said. "Strong, undying, fuh-fearless."