EON CH 17

JUNE'S NEW LIFE.

1772.

Explosions rang throughout MoveCity that afternoon as June's mother folded some laundry.

"Another gang war," she complained.

In this lawless land, it was the rule of the strong. There were no consequences, there were no police, and it was rare when the community would band together wild west style to punish someone.

Thus, the weak tended to form groups to take on the strong. They'd gathered attention, grow, and form a gang. Which would lead to fighting other gangs for territory and fame.

Such occurrences were common.

Yet no matter how strong a gang became, it'd never be strong enough to take on MoveCity's one true ruler.

There was a reason Raptorman was in charge – he was the strongest of them all. The lizard was a demi-god amongst mortals. Able to destroy the world in a single punch... Just like the Cross Generals.

She sighed. "How was it possible for anyone to become that strong?"

June's mom used Create pretty frequently, but her Augment was average at best. There was a time where lifting five hundred pounds seemed like such an incredible feat. Now it was as impressive as being able to pick up a chair.

It didn't take long to finish folding the laundry. She pulled the dresser drawer, but was too distracted by her thoughts and yanked it out too far; the wooden box fell to the ground. She groaned, bent down, and paused.

There was a secret compartment under the drawer.

Inside were photos – lots of photos that revealed lots of things. With each picture her eyes widened; her skin paled. At the bottom of a pile was a single newspaper.

"Pedophile uses Create to molest underage girls," was the headline.

It slipped from her hands when her eyes fell upon a single person. The photo of the man under the headline. It was Albert.

She turned towards the clock – school was letting out in a few minutes, and he asked to pick up June. Mom shot up and ran towards her keys. She jumped in the car, slammed on the gas, and drove down the main street.

The explosions grew louder in this part of the city, but that didn't matter. If she hurried, she could make it to June's school before he did. The light ahead was red, but she didn't slow down.

"Please turn green, please turn green."

It did – she let out a sigh of relief.

The car went tumbling from an impact on the driver's side. Glass shattered as it flipped over and over again. The world was a blur of sound and fury – fire and pain. The airbag slammed into her face as razors danced upon her skin.

Her mind couldn't form a coherent thought, but she knew it was the gang war.

They were still fighting – of course they were.

After all, who would stop them?

The police?

The law?

No one.

The car flipping into a small pool and the roof clunked when it touched the floor. Cold water brought her back to consciousness – she had no air. The seat belt was ripped off and she slammed the door.