Laundry Iron Man

The boy's face, already pale, seemed to get paler.

"A--an intern? Stark Industries?" he spluttered. 

"Uh...yeah," Tony shrugged. "I mean, my wife brought it up this morning and I thought...there's no way I'm sending out applications. That'd just get people talking."

The kid blinked and opened his mouth, but no sound came out.

Hmm. Was this a good idea?

"Um, with all due respect, sir...do you think it's wise to just pick a random kid off the street and take them in as your intern?" he asked nervously. "I--I mean, it just seems rather impulsive, that's all, sir. I could be a murderer or something."

Tony snorted. "You? Come on. And impulsive? That's my...third middle name."

"Well, I still think that would be a bad idea."

"Why not? You don't wanna be an intern or something? Don't got the time? I understand."

"No, no!" the boy looked terrified and Tony had to admit, it was fun to play with people like this sometimes. "I've got more than enough time. I just...are you sure you're talking to the right kid?"

Tony shrugged. "Am I?"

The kid stared at him in wonder.

"I'm a very busy man. Yes or no, would you like to be my intern?"

"Y--yes! Absolutely!"

"All right. I'm not sure how this whole intern thing works, but how about you come over to the Stark Tower later today and we can have an interview slash lunch. If you're not a murderer, then you can join me and do, um...intern stuff."

"Really? Is this real?" His eyes literally seemed like they were sparkling.

"Uh...yeah."

They exchanged a few words and set up a time to meet in the Stark Tower. The kid seemed overly excited as Tony bid him farewell and took off, police lights finally flashing around the corner.

It's about time, he thought as he skimmed over the tops of buildings on his way home.

Another thing was puzzling him. The police had called him and informed him about the 'trouble at the bank,' yet there hadn't been a single officer in sight. Where had everyone been?

He tried to put the bank, Saberling Tech, and so-called Spider-Man out of his mind so he could think about the 'intern.'

This new kid seemed good. A little strange, like a blank slate. But Pepper wanted him to have an intern, so he got one.

Hopefully when he was done questioning him about the bank explosion, he could keep him as an actual intern.

He got to the Stark Tower awfully fast, sailing casually in through the window of the lab. Luckily Dr. Banner wasn't in today, or he might have had a rampaging green monster to deal with.

"FRIDAY, tell Pepper I'm home from work," he sighed as he stepped out of the suit.

"Will do," FRIDAY replied. "May I ask as to why you have lunch scheduled until noon? I thought you were going to have family bonding time, as Miss Potts put it."

Tony chuckled. "Well, don't tell Pepper, but I believe I have found myself an intern. Oh, please scan this. Check it for stuff." He set the iron on the desk.

There was nothing suspicious in the laundry iron. No bombs, no weapons (aside from the hot surface--keep out of reach of children), no microchips, no nothing.