Donuts

A/N: Hello! I just wanted to clear up some things that were probably already obvious: I don't know a ton about medical stuff, science stuff, or the fostering/adoption process. Since this is just a story, I guess it doesn't matter much, but I just wanted to let you know. I hope you've been enjoying the story so far! :D

***

Peter stood in a corner of the donut shop, nervously bouncing his leg.

He knew. Tony Stark knew that Peter was Spider-Man, that he'd snuck into Saber's house and stolen the data on the Clusterstorm chip.

"You gonna order anything?" the girl at the counter asked in an annoyed voice. She was on her phone and there was no one else in the shop besides him.

"Uh, no..." Peter tucked his hands into his pockets. "I'm just waiting on someone."

The girl rolled her eyes and went back to scrolling, leaving Peter to his thoughts of yesterday afternoon.

His plan of telling Mr. Stark he was friends with Spider-Man--who had supposedly given Peter the data on the Clusterstorm chip--had gone out the window since the text he'd gotten.

He knows. He knows.

Peter forced down his terror as a sleek black car pulled into the parking lot and Tony Stark strolled in. The girl at the counter stared at him with her mouth hanging open.

Mr. Stark took off his sunglasses and clapped his hands together in Peter's direction. Happy scratched his nose behind him, looking bored.

"There he is!" Mr. Stark cried. "Just the guy I wanted to see."

"Um..." Peter shifted his weight nervously, wondering if he should've brought his stuff with him in case he had to run. Of course he should've.

Stupid.

"We need to have a talk," Mr. Stark said seriously. "But first, donuts."

He went up to the counter and grinned at the girl. "Hi. I'd like...half a dozen donuts, please."

It took a moment for the girl to snap out of her daze, but eventually Mr. Stark walked out of the shop with a box of donuts.

"You want one?" he asked, handing Peter a donut. He took it gratefully.

Yay, breakfast, he thought as he nibbled on the sprinkles.

Mr. Stark put his hand on Peter's shoulder, keeping a very firm grip on him as they walked over to his car. Peter felt like he was on a leash.

"Where are we going?" Peter asked.

"Oh, somewhere to talk," Mr. Stark said. He tried to keep the tension out of his voice, but it was there. "Someplace private."

Oh no.

He wondered what Mr. Stark would do to him. Arrest him, maybe? Or fine him for the various damage he'd caused throughout the city? Make him return the flash drive?

There was a small part of him that hoped it would be positive. Maybe Mr. Stark was going to make him an Avenger.

They began walking down the road, cutting through some familiar parks. Mr. Stark took his sunglasses off and pulled a baseball cap over his eyes, not that it did much to disguise him. Happy trailed behind them, huffing and puffing as he tried to keep up.

 They ended up at a familiar location, and that fact sent shivers down his spine.

It was the park where he'd moved all his stuff.

This can't be a coincidence, he thought in panic.

"Come on," Mr. Stark called, silently recognizing Peter's alarm with a smug smile.