Pizza and Princesses

"Hi," Peter gave a small wave. There were two kids on the couch playing video games. The boy looked to be about his age, with sandy blond hair and a calculating glare. The other was a really small girl with big brown eyes and an energetic grin. The woman in front of him crossed her arms, her eyes seeming like they might pop out of her head. Her mouth hung open in shock.

"...Intern?" she blinked uncomprehendingly. "You can't just--"

"What happened to his face?" The little girl blurted from the couch. The woman turned sharply.

"Morgan! Don't be rude!" she scolded. Peter smiled.

"It's all right. I just got burned."

"At the crime scene," Mr. Stark mumbled under his breath.

"What?" The woman stared at Peter as if he might pull out a gun. "What was he doing at the crime scene?"

Mr. Stark whispered something in her ear. With normal hearing, he might not have been able to pick it up, but with his super-senses he was able to get every word. He didn't mean to eavesdrop, but it wasn't like he could just flip an on and off switch for his powers.

"I need to question him about the bank," he mumbled. "He doesn't seem to be the criminal type, but I just need to be sure. This'll be out of your hair soon and then we can all go play Exploding Kittens."

Her expression hardened. "Fine. But we are eating lunch together as as family. Your intern can just join us."

"I...I can?" Peter felt his heart melt. It had been forever since he'd shared a meal with someone.

"Whatever," the woman threw up her arms as she stormed out of the room. Peter felt guilt burning in his chest as he saw Mr. Stark clench his jaw.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark," Peter said. "I didn't mean to cause trouble! I can just go and you can find another intern."

"No," Mr. Stark said, a little too firmly. He ran his fingers through his graying hair. "I-I mean, it's fine. This is just a little fight. Come on, let's get lunch."

***

The Stark Tower was huge. It was way more awesome than Peter could've ever imagined. So many people bustled around him that Peter stopped holding his breath out of nervousness when someone walked by because he was getting dizzy.

They stepped into an elevator, the little girl and sandy-haired boy following close behind. Ms. Potts had gone her own way, maybe to blow off some steam.

I can't believe I caused an argument with Mr. Stark and his wife, and it's only my first day here.

Peter tried to force down his guilt. He had enough of that already.

He still couldn't fully comprehend that he was interning for the Tony Stark.

The little girl, Morgan, pulled on his hoodie.

"Hey! Hey, do you like science stuff like Daddy does?" she asked in a sweet high-pitched voice. Her brown eyes sparkled.

"Um, yeah!" Peter chuckled nervously and bent down so he could be eye-level with the girl. "Yeah, I do. You've got a nice princess skirt on. You like princesses?"

"Uh-huh!" Morgan gave a little hop in her bright yellow galoshes. "Harley plays with me sometimes but he likes to play his video games, so sometimes I have to play by myself." She stuck out her lip.

"Oh," Peter bit his lip. The sandy-haired boy glared down at him, so Peter stood up and extended his hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Peter. Parker."