Surprise

Now that Saber was dead, Tony told Spider-Man that he was no longer needed to investigate appliances.

"Why?" he'd blurted, wringing his hands. "I--I don't think that this is over, Mr.--Iron Man."

"Look, just drop it." Tony was running out of patience with this kid. He wondered how old he was--and whether or not he drove his family bonkers like he did Tony. "I softened up on you because you proved yourself innocent, but I don't want you to go and getting yourself into messes that I have to be responsible for. Leonard Saber is dead. D-E-A-D, dead. There's no other reason that the appliances would keep working. Plus, that Guy-guy said that he would handle it."

"It's pronounced gi," Spider-Man mumbled under his breath. "But that's not the point! I don't think Leonard Saber was the one to control all those appliances, because there was this man in an ice--"

"I've gotta go," he called. "But stick close to the ground. Catch you later!"

Before Spider-Man could protest, Tony fired his repulsors and flew off towards the compound.

Gosh, what a weirdo.

This kid just couldn't let anything go, could he?

He soared in through his open workshop window with a clang, giving his head a clearing shake. He put on his glasses and strolled out the door like he had just had a mildly interesting business call for the whole morning.

September was coming to a close, which meant that Morgan's birthday was right around the corner. He wasn't sure what they would do for her this year, since she now had two older brothers and it would be a little different. Maybe they could help him and throw a surprise party.

When he stepped out of the elevator, he ran into Happy.

"Woah, buddy!" Tony cried, steadying himself. "It's a weekend! What're you doing here?"

"Oh," Happy panted. "I--I was just, um...playing with the kids."

"Uh-huh." Tony looked over Happy's shoulder, where his work laptop sat at a conference table. "And where are those kids?"

"Playing," Happy blurted. "Hide-and-seek, so I'm not sure where they are. Currently."

Tony gave a nod and settled himself on the couch with a yawn. "Is Peter playing?"

"Um, yes." Happy adjusted his collar. Tony raised an eyebrow.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, Tony. I was just playing and he was it. Now he's hiding. Somewhere."

Tony gave a nod, but didn't push him. It was clear Happy was hiding something, but the kid had probably just broken a vase.

***

"Listen up," he whispered to the family late that night, after Morgan had been put to bed. "I want to throw Morgan a surprise party."

"You mean before or after you leave for India?" Pepper asked in confusion. Tony facepalmed as his stomach dropped.

"Shoot, I forgot about the wedding!"

"Don't let Dr. Ahuja hear you say that." Pepper was seated behind Harley and was now brushing his hair with Morgan's sparkly pink brush. He looked very annoyed and frustrated, but didn't move. Peter sat across from Tony, tapping his chin in thought.

"So...what if we invite her friends from preschool?" he suggested. "She seems to like them."

"Yeah." Tony nodded. "But I'll be gone on her actual birthday--"

"Her fifth birthday," Pepper whispered disbelievingly, giving her head a little shake.

"--so it has to be before then."

"What about the day before you leave, so the memory will be fresh when her birthday comes?" Harley suggested. Tony snapped his fingers.

"Great idea, man!"

"We can have Mr. Rogers handle the flowers!" Peter piped up. "And Mr. Happy can get the cake, since he's always driving everywhere!"

"Where are we going to have this...party?" Pepper asked, her tone hinting that she was very well aware she would end up doing everything anyway.

"Well, where's her favorite spot?" Peter asked excitedly.

Tony's eyes darkened and he stared at the floor in apprehension.

"Goldman's Fun Zone."

***

In just a few short days, Morgan's party was underway. The little princess seemed to suspect something was up, but all she could talk about was her upcoming birthday.

"We can have a party, right, Daddy?" she asked Tony one evening.

"Eh, I don't know, Maguna," Tony had teased. "Are you sure you really deserve a party?"

"Yeah!" Morgan pouted, sticking out her bottom lip and crossing her arms. She had Tony's glare.

"We'll have to wait and see, sugar pop."

This was the automatic answer everyone gave her when she asked, which started to drive her crazy.

As the party date drew closer and closer, Tony found himself stressing out. What if Morgan didn't like the party? What if she didn't like the presents Tony had hastily bought for her? He knew that Happy had taken Peter and Harley shopping individually, and Tony hoped his gifts found were okay too.

Heck, as long as it was sparkly, pink, fluffy, or pertaining to either a princess or a superhero, Morgan would love it.

Peter worked especially hard, hand-making some of the decorations and decorating her wrapped presents. He even sewed Morgan a new superhero cape--he was surprisingly good with a needle and thread. Tony had to admire how much he seemed to want to be a part of the family now, especially since not just two weeks ago he was wanting to run away and ignore Tony's existence entirely.

Steve, Bucky, Clint, Natasha, Bruce, Thor, Wanda, Vision, Scott, Rhodey, and Happy would also be attending the party, much to the happiness of Morgan's classmates' parents'.

The very day of the party came sooner than Tony was ready for. He'd made sure his bag was packed for his early flight the next morning with guilt, still unable to bring himself to leave the country on his daughter's birthday. But...even though nothing was more important than the happiness of his little girl, she would have other birthdays. Tonight was his chance to make it up to her.

Everything was going smoothly, until Happy came sprinting up with bad news that ruined the whole thing.

"Goldman's is closed."