So Long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye

When FRIDAY informed Tony that the government man pulled up to the tower in a small white Civic, he tried his best not to panic. Sure, he'd had all sorts of government issues being Iron Man and all, but this was a different matter.

He carefully set down the pen he was taking notes with and stood up from his chair.

"Excuse me, gents," he said to the employees seated around the circular table. "Something has come up."

The government man had said they would come to pick him up around three, which was when the children's center opened. It had seemed like a long time at first, but now Tony realized how soon it was. He wasn't sure if he was ready for Peter to leave just yet.

The elevator seemed unusually slow. He had FRIDAY override the system so it wouldn't stop for anyone on the way down, but he still wished it would speed up.

When he finally stepped into the reception area, Rinely, the woman at the front desk, waved him over. There was a man leaning casually up against the counter, dressed in a light gray sweater with a blue dress shirt underneath. He looked to be in his thirties, but he was already bald. The only hair he had was his black goatee. His dark brown eyes twinkled behind a pair of wire-rimmed glasses. When he saw Tony approaching, he eagerly stepped forward and thrust out his hand.

"Mr. Stark," he started happily, "such a pleasure to meet you! My name is Andrew Davis."

"Call me Tony," he offered a tight smile. Andrew's grip was firm. "So...what's going to happen, do you know? Are you taking the kid away to some orphanage?"

"No, no..." Andrew shook his head. "We will take him to the children's center and try to find him a suitable temporary foster home until we can find a more permanent solution."

"Doesn't he have family that lives nearby?" Tony questioned. "Aunts, uncles, or grandparents?"

Andrew sighed and pushed his glasses up his nose. "Peter has no living blood relatives, and I'm afraid his only living relatives, his aunt's cousins Lorenzo and Bella Reilly, have declined to take him in."

"Declined?" Tony shook his head in disbelief. "That's outrageous. Who wouldn't want that kid? He's thoughtful, considerate, and hard-working. He always makes sure there's something he can be helping with."

Tony surprised himself at how much good things he had to say about Peter. He'd only known the kid for two days, but he was starting to grow on him.

Andrew nodded sadly. "Yes, unfortunately not everyone always wants to step up and take in their younger relatives in need. Where is Peter, by the way?"

"Uh, I think he's getting his stuff upstairs," Tony mumbled. Andrew nodded. He started talking about legal stuff, but Tony zoned out and had FRIDAY record the conversation to his glasses. He could listen to it later--right now he just wanted to make sure Peter was okay.

He couldn't help but feel that something was off. It wasn't Andrew, but still--something inside of him raised a red flag at the thought of sending Peter away.

"So where did you find him?" Andrew asked, snapping Tony out of his thoughts. He blinked.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, he's been missing for six months," Andrew explained, raising his brow for effect. "No one could find him. How did you, the most powerful and busy man in New York, manage to do that?"

"I think you just answered your own question," Tony sniffed. "Powerful. I can get away with stuff like keeping a fugitive overnight."

"He's not a fugitive, he's a missing child."

"Anyway," Tony watched the elevator apprehensively as the doors slid open and Peter stepped out. "I found him living under a bridge in a park just down the road from the crash location. It's a miracle none of you guys have found him yet, he was kind of in plain sight."

Andrew clenched his jaw and Tony felt a little glad he could get under the guy's skin.

Peter was hurrying towards them, looking very gentlemanly. He was dressed in the new clothes Tony had bought for him, his hair freshly cut and combed. Happy followed close behind, carrying the kid's suitcase and talking a million miles a minute. Peter gave Tony a stressed smile as they approached.

"Hey, kid," Tony greeted. "You got everything?"

"Yes, sir," Peter nodded. Andrew stuck out his hand to Peter and smiled.

"Peter, I presume?" When Peter nodded, Andrew patted his back. "I'm Mr. Davis, but you can call me Andrew."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Davis," Peter said in that adorable high-pitched voice. Tony shook his head.

Not your kid. Not your kid. Not your kid. You won't even see him again.

Andrew laughed. "Kid's got manners! Alright, let's go get in my car, and we'll head over to the children's center to find you a good temporary foster home till we can find you a more permanent situation. That all right with you?"

Peter nodded, but Tony knew they would've taken him even if it wasn't. That's just how the government worked, unfortunately. You had to be bossed around. Tony wouldn't mind a government where he was in charge, though. That'd be sweet.

"Do you have all your things?" Andrew asked. Peter patted his backpack and Happy lifted the suitcase to indicate it was Peter's as well. Andrew clapped his hands together excitedly. "Okay! We're all set!"

He thanked Tony again, boring him with more legal details. Tony waved his arm, suddenly irritated.

"Bring it up with my assistant," he snapped, then sighed. "Sorry. I'm just..." he tilted his head as he watched Peter.

"Mr. Stark," Peter started, voice trembling, "I--I can't thank you enough. Not only have you been my idol since, like, kindergarten, but now you brought me back from a world of darkness and shadows. I was all alone, and you rescued me. I can never repay you."

Peter did something that surprised Tony and left him puzzled. He ran over and threw his arms around him, wrapping him in a tight hug.

It took Tony a bit to register what Peter was doing, so that by the time he finally raised his arms to hug him back, the kid had already pulled away, wiping his eyes on his sleeve.

"No...no problem, kid," he managed, clearing his throat. "Anytime."

That sounded lame compared to what Peter had just said, but Tony didn't think he had any happy words in him. He felt a strange emptiness as Peter started heading towards the doors with Andrew, as the kid looked over his shoulder and gave him one last wave.

But still he did nothing as Peter left the building, climbed into the backseat of the car, and slowly started off down the street. The car rounded a corner and was gone.

A/N: Sorry for the random chapter-posting schedule! I am now going to try for parts to be released every Tuesday and Friday. :)