Inconceivable!

This probably won't make much sense unless you've seen the Princess Bride

Tony watched Peter leave the room with a deepening frown, the same doubts when he had first met the kid pulling at him.

Was this a good idea?

"Hey, relax," Happy said, sensing Tony's uncertainty. "The kid's just adjusting. He's been through a lot, you know. It'll take awhile for him to trust people again."

As much as Tony hated that statement, he knew it was true.

Pepper was trying to do as little work as possible today to help Peter and the other kids. When lunch hour rolled around, she was finally done for the day. Collapsing at the kitchen table with a sigh, she undid her work ponytail and let her hair spill free.

"Hey, honey," Tony called from the stove where he was whipping up some of his infamous pancakes. "How was work?"

"Lousy," she huffed. "I'm glad you didn't have to work today."

"Yeah," Tony laughed. "Fury's trying to rally the troops, I guess."

"Where's Peter?"

Tony sighed, flipping a pancake like a master. When it landed, it folded in on itself and became a mushy pile.

"He's up in his new room. I gave him a notebook and told him he should write some stuff in it that'll help him feel better."

"Oh, Tony." Pepper rubbed her face and gave him a smile. "I love you. You really are clueless about children."

"What? I'm the best dad in the universe."

"Yes, you are," Pepper laughed. "But I think you should've waited a little bit for that kind of talk. Despite the fact you think you know him and spent lots of time with him, you never really got to know the real Peter. Next time try letting him come out of his shell a bit before giving him a therapeutic journal."

"Oh." Tony scowled at the lumpy pancake and flipped it into the garbage can.

"You should go get him for lunch," she suggested, pulling five plates, forks, and cups down from the cupboard.

"Why can't you do that?" Tony whined.

"Because this was all your idea. I've got other things on my plate." She lifted one of the plates for effect as she set it down on the table.

***

Tony hesitantly knocked on Peter's bedroom door, praying it wasn't empty and the kid snuck out right from under their noses.

Luckily, the door opened, and Peter stared up at him.

"Hey, wanna join us for lunch?" Tony asked quickly, before Peter could spew something about how he didn't want to be here. He nodded, sliding something under his bed with his foot. Tony assumed it was the journal.

He accompanied Peter downstairs, repeatedly messing with his watch, which could open his suit, in the awkward silence.

Harley and Morgan were already at the table, talking excitedly. When Tony and Peter entered the room, they froze. Tony inwardly cringed and hoped they wouldn't start being rude.

"Petey!" Morgan shrieked, launching herself at him. Peter laughed and caught her in a hug before she could latch onto his leg. She was awfully hard to remove at that stage, like a tick or a leech.

"Hi, Morgan," Peter said with a smile, ruffling her hair. "How've you been?"

"Good. Daddy said you would come back and play with me! And you did! Thanks, big brother!"