Honey, Look What I Brought Home

Tony thought it was too soon for another hug, so he just patted Peter's shoulder from across the table. Peter's lip trembled and he folded in on himself, staring at the table's surface.

"I want to go home," he rasped under his breath. Tony had to lean in close to make out what he was saying, given he was both talking to the table and had been choked. "I want May back, I want to go to school, I want to see my friends--I just--"

His voice went up and evaporated from his throat as he coughed. Tony sighed and patted his shoulder again.

"Kid, how many times do I have to tell you to stop talking? Rest your voice. It'll all work out."

Peter gave a tear-filled nod and wiped his nose on his sleeve.

When Tony offered for the kid to ride back to the compound, his knees buckled as soon as he stood up.

"Woah, there!" Tony yelled, swooping in to support him before he could face-plant on the floor. His face was pale with a light sheen of sweat. Tony patted his back as he helped him out the door. "You're alright."

The kid had lost too much blood to be normal, but he strangely seemed just fine. Other than that momentary dizziness.

Tony tried to shrug it off as he helped him into one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. vehicles. Happy was putting up a fight for the kid to ride with him, but was turned down by an agent. "Protocol," was all that was said.

"Oh, so you guys have 'protocol' for kids now?" he snapped. "I thought you were an elite spy force!"

He was ignored.

Tony booted one of the agents out of the S.H.I.E.L.D van so he could hitch a ride with the kids. He wanted to make sure they were doing okay--Peter most importantly. He'd certainly taken a beating more than anyone else.

Instead of being silent, like Tony had anticipated, the car ride was fraught with questions and comments.

"I think you should power your suits with Nutella!" the long-haired, hippie-looking kid had shouted as soon as Tony buckled his seatbelt. "Scientifically proven to boost superheros' powers!"

The Hispanic boy with the glasses elbowed him. "Is not! You made that up!"

"Is too! I asked Spider-Man myself!"

"That was your dream, dummy! You can't tell dreams from reality!"

Tony arched his eyebrow at Peter as they continued arguing. Peter grinned and returned his gaze out the window.

He felt a little tugging on his sleeve and looked down at Kayla, who was sitting next to him. She looked so tiny, she couldn't be more than eight.

"Are you Tony Stark?" she asked, mouth wide open. Tony chuckled.

"Sure am, kiddo."

"No way!" she leaned forward in her seat and tugged on the little boy who had used sign language's hair. He gave a little yelp and turned, seething.

"That's Tony Stark!" the girl whispered, pointing at Tony. The boy looked from her to Tony with an increasingly alarmed expression. The S.H.I.E.L.D. agents had apparently found his missing hearing aid, which had been somehow knocked away during his struggle with Bernard Wagner.

What's your name? Tony asked him.

"Billy," the boy answered out loud, using his voice. He didn't say or sign anything else, fixing Tony with a frightened stare.

"I'm not gonna hurt you," Tony said gently, signing as he talked. It wasn't as easy as it looked. "We're taking you someplace where you'll be safe."

"That's what they said," Billy replied coolly. "When they took us here."