Not What Priceless Means

PART TWO
FAMILY

(art not mine)
The kids stayed in a spare room, right by Vision's. Tony hadn't even thought about it, but Pepper guessed the kids wouldn't want their own rooms and have to sleep by themselves. This would most likely be their last day together, anyway.

Tony knew that Peter had been trying to run away again. The thought made him feel stressed and frantic--what if they could never find him again?

That's why there was even more of a reason for them to foster Peter. They could keep a close eye on him to make sure he stayed safe and out of trouble. Tony was great at staying out of trouble, right?

Still, the idea that Peter might try to run from the compound and back to his old life of loneliness and hurt made Tony want to throw himself in front of all of Peter's problems, no matter how big. This was a fatherly instinct, he realized suddenly, one that came out when he was with Morgan and Harley.

Yet again, all the more reason to foster Peter.

When Tony had suggested it, Peter's face didn't reveal much. It was as if he had known Tony was going to ask, and he probably had. Tony hadn't been very sneaky when it came to how he felt about such things.

Peter hadn't uttered a word, instead helping Tony clean up the band-aids from the floor. Tony had pressed the last few into Peter's palm, giving him his best Don't-Let-Me-Down dad look.

"I trust you know what to do with these?" he had asked. Peter's jaw had twitched as if he wanted to spit a venomous reply, but he simply turned around and started back to the infirmary.

Not wanting for Peter to run off again, Tony had followed him, helping him out in any way he could.

"Just go help one of the other kids," Peter had snapped as Tony helped him carry his suitcase from the S.H.I.E.L.D. car to the temporary room. His voice was coming back rather quickly. "I'm not your son."

Tony had opened his mouth and closed it again, ducking his head in compliance.

He'd stood by the kids' door for hours, listening to their giggles and hushed conversation as they spent their last night together.

That Arnwaldo kid sure had some strange ideas.

***

The next morning, Tony had been calmly sipping his coffee on the stairs when he heard an ominous bumping and crashing coming towards him. He barely had time to register a sleeping bag shooting between his legs, causing him to jump and spill hot coffee all over his clean suit.

"H-e-l-l-o, M-r. S-t-a-r-k!" Arnwaldo's voice yelled, jarred by the bumping of the stairs. "B-y-e, M-r. S-t-a-r-k!"

He heard a crash and a shatter at the bottom of the stairs, so he dashed over to see what had happened.

Arnwaldo was laying tangled in his sleeping bag, having ran into a pedestal with a vase on top.

"Oops," he grunted. "I can pay for that with my spare change. How much was it?"

"That was priceless, buddy," Tony said through gritted teeth, hoping Pepper wouldn't notice if it had a few cracks in it. Maybe he could get DUM-E to glue it back together later.

"Oh, priceless. Phew." Arnwaldo laughed and ran off, leaving Tony to roll his eyes to no one.

He and Peter didn't speak much over the next few days. Well, Peter actually hardly spoke to anyone unless he was answering a question. The situation reminded him so much of what Harley had gone through that it made his chest ache.

A Hard-of-Hearing S.H.I.E.L.D agent had decided to take Billy in and although Rhodey was very much swayed by Kayla's adorableness, he decided it would be best if another agent took her in. Diego and Arnwaldo would be fostered by normal civilians with other foster kids that had been on the radar for safe homes.

When the time came for the kids to part, Tony almost had to leave because of how choked up he was getting. He didn't mean to spy on Billy and Peter's conversation, so he turned away. But not before catching You're the best brother anyone could ask for.

Kayla had made macaroni crowns for everyone, even Tony. Peter had knelt down so she could place it on his head and she gave him a hug. He kissed her cheek and ruffled her hair.

"Aren't you coming with me?" she asked.

"Sorry, squirt," Peter sighed with a glance at Tony. "I've gotta stay here."

Kayla had burst into tears.

Peter had scooped her up in his arms, lifting her onto his shoulders. He took her for one last run around the car waiting to take her to the agent's house, pink tutu ruffling, eyes twinkling as she laughed.

Kayla waved through the back window until the car disappeared across the road.

"Well, this is it," Arnwaldo exclaimed, donning a Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts along with his sunglasses and a straw hat. He looked ready to hit the beach, not a new home.

Diego was sobbing as he hugged Peter goodbye.

"Bye, Pete! I'll never forget you or your sick ninja skills!"

Tony was puzzled by that comment, but he forgot about it as Arnwaldo gave an unsuspecting Peter a sudden chest bump.

"Peter, I want you to have this," he announced dramatically, pulling a rock from his pocket. "It's seen me through thick and thin, and now, I'm passing it to the younger generation."

Peter's eyebrows knitted in confusion. "'Younger?' But I'm--"

"Shh," Arnwaldo clasped a hand over Peter's mouth. Peter apparently licked his hand, as he jerked it away in mild disgust before smelling it.

"Always remember to distinguish your dreams from reality!" he called, climbing butt-first into the vehicle. The man driving seemed a little confused by this. "If you ever become a superhero, eat Nutella!"

You ready? the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent asked Billy, giving his shoulders a squeeze. The woman's husband stood next to her, giving Billy a warm smile. Tony knew Billy would be welcomed as a son with these people and treated right.

Fury stood stiffly nearby, going up to shake the agent's hand.

"While I don't appreciate S.H.I.E.L.D. being turned into a daycare service," he started with a glare at Tony, "I'm glad you found a son and are making a real impact on this boy's life."

"Thank you, sir," the woman choked, wiping tears out of her eyes.

"Go on, get outta here," Peter called to Billy, giving him one last squeeze. He gave his freckled nose a poke. "Hey, don't be sad. I'll come to visit you, lots."

Don't want to go, Billy signed with trembling fingers. Want to stay with you.

People nice, Peter signed, pointing at the agent, who smiled.

"But--but what if they don't love me?" Billy protested.

"Nonsense," the man said gently, kneeling down next to Peter and giving Billy's arm a gentle squeeze. Tony suddenly felt as if he were invading a private family meeting. "Billy, I love you already. Maggie and I have been wanting kids for awhile, but we never knew when would be the right time. And after seeing you and your cute little freckles and hearing aids..." Billy smiled. "I realize now is the right time. We're nice people, I promise. We'll make sure you have everything you need, and never let 'cha go hungry."

They reassured Billy for a few more minutes until he finally agreed to get in the car.

Billy stuck his head out of the window, waving at them for as long as the road stretched on.

Miss you, Peter signed to the still air.