9. Changes

AUTHOR'S POV

A ray of golden light which came from the slit of the curtain illuminated a part of the bed. It hits the man's face and his eyes flung open.

'What have I done?'

He raised his hand on his head. He shut his eyes as he felt someone's arm over his chest. 'Ariel'.

The woman stirred and looked at him. Devon couldn't believe himself. He had tainted the marriage bed which he vowed to honor. Staring blankly at the ceiling, the woman cupped his face. Devon abruptly stood up and went to the bathroom.

How can he face Natalia now, he pondered gripping the edge of the sink and frustratingly bowed his head.

'Crap!' Why did he lose control? He's better than this. So many thoughts were running to his head.

"Devon..." A faint voice called to him at the other side of the door. He splashed water on his face before opening the door with much reluctance.

He then saw Ariel already covered herself with a robe looking dispirited. Her arms clutching the clothe near her chest.

"I'm sorry." She uttered then hurriedly left for the door.

Devon went after her. He knocked on her door and patiently waited. They needed to talk.

#######

ZION GROUP OF COMPANIES

"Sir, an invitation just arrived. It's for the Zimmer Grand Ball." Sergei notified his boss. His employer, Alexander, doesn't want to appear and attend any social gatherings except the only one last time. They normally send a company representative in his place. Sometimes it will be their Vice President or the Human Resources Manager or simply him, the assistant.

Alexander took a glance on the envelope over his table. Sergei was ready to take it back when the boss picked up the paper and scanned the invitation.

Alexander saw the person who had signed at the bottom of the paper----Natalia Z. Yushkova

"Call Uno." The stone-cold man ordered after reading the invitation.

Sergei raised his eyebrows. Mr. Uno is the trusted and only tailor of Alexander simply because he's the number one in the field. He secretly smiled at his boss. It's amusing to witness the changes on him.

#######

Natalia opened the door of her room as someone is continuously knocking.

"Piglet."

"Brother! You're back! I've missed you." It's been two months since she saw her brother. Jake started visiting different countries to meet the Zimmer company's foreign investors.

"How are you holding up?" Her brother asked after giving her some souvenirs.

"How are you holding up? Natalia replied. She didn't have to update Jake on anything because John was reporting everyday to him.

"Most of the investors seemed to be at peace having a new president. So I think, I'm okay. We're okay." Jake simply told her.

"Hmm..how about the rest who didn't seem to be convinced?" Natalia bluntly asked.

"I have to think about that. Don't worry." Her brother winked at her.

"I can cover for them." Natalia proposed to her brother. She can transfer all her money to the company. It doesn't matter to her.

"No. It is your money. That's out of the equation. I'll have John set up a few meetings to other potential investors." Jake denied her. She sighed and let go of the matter.

"Alright."

"Thank you, piglet."

Both of them went for lunch afterwards.

Natalia spent the rest of the day at her father's quarters reading books to him.

"Young Madam. Ms. Vene just arrived. She's at the living room." Deedee informed her. She was brought back to her other reality and set the book aside.

"Will be there. Thanks."

After bidding good night to her dad, she went straight to the living room curious to know what brought Trish to the Zimmer estate.

"Is there something wrong at The Belle Shop? Natalia inquired while drinking a cup of tea.

"No. But I received this." The red-haired lady gave her a thick sealed document. Confused, Natalia took hold of it to see who'd sent it.

"I've checked with our security but they only said that a courier from the postal delivered it. I have sent someone to the post office but it's kind of impossible to trace since it's a public facility. Many people come and go." Trish told her with a serious look.

Natalia unsealed the document and laid the contents on the coffee table. She already knew where it really came from.

She hired a private investigator, from the month she was freed from the Yushkova mansion, to dig up useful information on the two families she had encountered--- Zippi and Yushkova. She smirked at what she saw. Natalia never thought how good that investigator is.

Trish is a calm person but seeing all these things in front of her, she cannot help but be on the edge of her seat.

"Don't worry dear. This is a battle I needed to won. And it seems like it." Natalia said unconcerned. Financial reports, slush funds, illicit activities, confidential documents...you name it. It's all there.

As Natalia was scanning the papers, Trish saw something and raised it in front of her. A folder about 'the divorce'.

The brunette woman opened the file. There was an image of what she thought it is and a written report about her marriage. Natalia cannot help but to crumple the picture. 'So those leeches had really done it.'

But what shocked her was the file on her other hand.

#######

Earlier that day

"Ariel we need to talk." Devon said to the woman. They were currently at her bedroom.

"What's there to talk about? It was clearly a mistake. You don't need to concern yourself about me." The woman replied not hiding her bitterness.

"I...will...be..responsible for you." The man said not trusting his resolve. The picture of him and Natalia being together was fading. If it wasn't for his foolishness.

"But you are already married." Ariel reminded him while tears are on the brim of her eyes.

"I...I am not." Devon finally said.

"What?" The woman can't believe the words but nevertheless happy to what she had learned.

"Our marriage is void." The man confessed.

#######