Chapter Fourteen: Party

But the thing was, Kade wasn't sure if Calico was even someone he was interested in romantically.
He never knew how to deal with crushes, let alone know if he had one, or if he actually just had a strong liking towards someone as a person platonically and got it confused with romantic feelings.
So he just tended to ignore his emotions in that area to avoid becoming frustrated with them.

Yet Kade still couldn't shake the awkward feeling he had towards Calico ever since he and Zay had heard the recording. Especially after the accident during their last mission.

At the moment- Kade tried to not think about it, which in turn made him think of only that moment when he almost kissed Calico in the car.

"Relax your hand a little." Zay's voice broke through Kade's train of thought, making him remember exactly what was going on in the moment.

Kade looked over to where Calico and Zay were waltzing across the floor, snapping back into reality.

The three were still in the Choi mansion, which happened to have an entire floor dedicated to expensive parties, and at the very moment, Zay was teaching Calico how to waltz for his birthday party later that evening.

The place was already decorated, with large tables against the walls with ivory satin table cloths that had gold lace stitching across the edges. Chandeliers hung from the roof with candles lit among them, casting a thick scent of vanilla through the grand ballroom.

There were a couple cooks setting up deserts and other edible goods on the tables, and other maids rushing about to fix the curtains and sweep the floors.

"Is this normal for you?" Kade couldn't help but ask, making Calico roll his eyes.

"Yes and no, normally yes my dad has been going above and beyond to gift his children with things to make up for neglecting us in the past. But it's also normal because he always made a big deal about his children's twenty first birthday." Calico explained, sounding a bit annoyed with his dad.

The more Kade found out about Mr. Choi, the more confused about his views of him he became. On one hand, Mr. Choi seemed to at least be trying to be a good father, at least from the perspective of someone who grew up without a dad.
On the other hand, the way Calico talked about his father, made Kade believe that there was more to the eye about their relationship. Vaguely he remembered the time Calico showed Kade the scar on his back, implying that his father was the reason it existed.
Which was a fair assumption considering the fact that Mr. Choi is the leader of a gang, so he probably lacked in the ability to raise children.

"At least he's trying now." Zay said firmly, as though telling them both that now was not the time to talk about this, when there were so many ears within hearing range.

After a couple more minutes of Zay correcting the way Calico was dancing, she almost shouted. "Calico if you don't stop trying to tickle me then I give up on you and I'll make Kade my dancing partner."

"But Zayyyy, you're just too easy to tickle! Especially because my hand is on your hip and thats your tickle spot!" Calico whined, but then proceeded to poke her in the side with a sly grin on his face.

"THATS IT!" Zay pushed him aside and marched over to Kade, pulling his confused ass up on his own two feet.
"It's your turn anyway, I'll make sure that both of you know how to dance if it's the last thing I do."

"Wait wait Zay- I didn't agree to any dancing-" Kade started to say, but one look from Zay made his mouth snap shut.

It was awkward at first when Zay had him put his hand on her hip, but Kade got used to the small contact eventually.