Chapter Five: Deaths

Kade wanted to break the skateboard after he had fallen off of it for the one hundreth time that day.

"You know if you took off those ridiculous shoes then you'd actually stay on the board a lot easier." Calico hollered from where he rode ahead, stopping so that he didn't get too far ahead of Kade.

"I know dumbass." Kade swatted his hand away when Calico skated over to offer him assistance to his feet.

"If you know then why do you insist on wearing the shoes?" Calico huffed, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow at Kade.

Kade rolled his eyes, as if he would tell Calico about his height insecurities. Especially when he-himself was clearly over six feet tall and Kade could hardly reach five foot nine even with the shoes.

The almost autumn scent of promising dead leaves and pumpkins lingered in the air and Kade rose to his feet, the sweat on his forehead cooling off slightly from the breeze.

But Kade also wasn't about to back down from the implied challenge Calico aired out.
He didn't have to say it outright, but Kade understood.
He had to ride the board with the shoes on to prove to Calico that he wasn't an imbecile.

Kade took a second to try to apply the sensation of the wheels turning underneath his feet to something he was familiar with, to help associate the way he was supposed to move his feet on the board.

"You also should probably use your eyes when you skate little ball of sunshine." Calico hollered with a hint of amusement in his voice as he got more distant.

Kade's eyes popped open as he started feeling the ground underneath the wheels of the board, shaking slightly as he tried to shift his focus on something else, anything else.
There was one time when Kade had been almost caught during a job, jumping through the alleyways to try to outrun the people who almost caught him after an assassination he just completed.
It was raining, and Kade had to jump off a roof at one point, using a board to slide down to break his momentum.

This felt a little different from then, but at least now Kade could try to pretend like this was a life or death situation, and that seemed to get his coordination to cooperate with his muscles.

He whizzed past Calico, never forgetting the look of pure shock over his face, eyes enlarged, mouth slightly parted, his gaze never breaking from Kade.

He had his attention.
And he wasn't going to let it go that easily.

The two raced to the skate park, yelling at the other that they were better than the other, basically trying to prove that they were superior in the art of skateboarding.

At one point, Kade sort of lost himself in thought, dropping quiet as the sun set low on the horizon, the wind gently brushing through his hair.

Apparently he had gone deaf too, or just that Calico got distracted by something, because Kade didn't register that Calico was heading right for him, sort of lost in the sight of how happy Calico looked in the moment.
That was, until both of them realized at the last second that they were heading towards each other and their faces twisted into the two of them yelling once again before collision.

Kade squeezed his eyes shut at the initial feeling of Calico's shoulder hitting his forehead.
The board flew out from underneath him, making Kade fall backwards on his elbows.

The only thing he could register for a minute was the fact that his hands felt like they were on fire, as were his elbows. And the second, was that his head hadn't snapped backwards like it should've.

Kade slowly opened his eyes to find that Calico's chest was in his face, not crushing it though, and from what Kade could see, Calico landed on his knees and left hand, hovering over Kade, having grabbed his head with his right arm to prevent any head damage.