Chapter Twenty Four: Wake Up Calico

Kade's next week in the hospital was an excruciatingly long one- partially because Calico seemed so close, yet so far away the entire time.

He never stirred, his heart monitor was steady- but Calico never moved. Not once showing a sign of his life coming back to him.
No sign of his bright warm smile.

Kade often heard the doctors whispering about how if he didn't show any signs of improvement in the next week- then they would have to pull the plug.

Which Kade would never let that happen, as long as Calico's heart was beating, there was still a chance.

Or so he thought.

It was the middle of the night, and since he was technically fully recovered at this point, Kade merely sat in his hospital bed in a pair of sweatpants and a tee shirt, silently scribbling down notes of a song he was working on since he couldn't sleep and needed something to do to keep his mind busy.

Even though he had done most of the notes in his head without hearing them aloud- he hadn't had the will to speak- much less sing- even though his vocal chords were healed entirely at this point.

He hadn't even spoken to his siblings when they tried to get him to talk- though it's not like he didn't want too- he just couldn't bring himself to speaking- so he just signed instead.
It was pretty much exactly how he had gone mute after his parents died.

Kade found himself staring at Calico- having dozed off- his eyes drifting from the paper in his lap.
Sighing, Kade got up, walking over to Calico's bed.

He had refused to touch Calico this entire time- thinking that touching him in his current state would make it real- and Kade was clingung to the idea that this was all just him stuck in a dream and Calico was okay and he would just have to wake up to him.

It was childish he knew- but it was one of the things that had kept him sane these past couple days.

Now, Kade faced the truth of what happened, taking one of Calico's warm hands into his own cold ones- lacing their fingers together.

"I'm sorry." Kade whispered, somewhat shocked to hear his own words as he sat down on Calico's bed with him, pulling his legs up underneath him, leaning to brush the hair out of Calico's eyes and kiss his forehead.
"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you. Sorry that you went through everything you did because of me. I'm so sorry."

Kade blinked the stinging pain in his eyes away, drawing in a shaky breath to try to calm himself down before his emotions came out.
It was far too late for that.

The song Kade kept in his mind, refusing to sing aloud- finally spilled from his lips for the first time since he started writing it.
"You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please, don't take my sunshine away"

Don't take Calico away.
Please let him come back.

"The other night, dear
While I lay sleeping
I dreamt I held you in my arms
When I awoke, dear
I was mistaken
So I hung my head and cried"

The pain in his chest hurt so much that Kade had doubled over, his forehead leaning against Calico's chest.

"You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please, don't take my sunshine away"

"You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please, don't take my sunshine away"

"Please, don't take my sunshine away
Please, don't take my sunshine away"

Kade couldn't help now the tears coming out of his eyes as he whispered the last words over and over again, pleading for Calico to come back.