10. Zimmer Grand Ball

"Only courageous hearts can endure the bitterness of truth."
-MB Johnson

#######

They are not married. VOID.

The folder held copies of birth certificates,  certificates of no marriage, denied request on certificate of marriage because of non-existence and other supporting documents coming from the National Registry Office.

Natalia clutched her chest. 'That horrible family'.

She closed her eyes feeling various of emotions competing to reign inside her already drained heart.

Natalia wasn't aware that Jake sat beside her. She wasn't aware when she was held tightly by her brother and cussed the Yushkova family. She wasn't aware when her other friends came over. Heck, she wasn't aware that she was weeping.

After quite sometime, her eyes were already parched of tears. She silently went back to her father's room and lay beside him. Hoping that his icy warmth presence will make these things go away.

#######

Morning came, Natalia fell asleep at Daniel's side. Jake woke her up to have breakfast and to his relief, she willingly obliged.

"Natalia...what are your plans?" Her brother asked breaking the silence. She never heard him call her name for years.

"Are you up for a good show?" She asked while raising her eyebrows. She won't cry no more.

Jake was a little surprised by his sister's demeanor. Calm and confident. A very dangerous combination. His tension was released and he knew that his sibling has a plan. "Be good, sister." He said smiling in return.

"Always, brother. Always." Natalia smirked.

#######

~Natalia's POV~

Yushkova Mansion (day of Zimmer Grand Ball)

"M...madam. The woman is here." I heard the old maid told Victoria.

My mother-in-law reached the lobby where I was standing. Her eyes scanned my limited Ziv-designed peach gown.

*reference picture of the dress only*

"You..what are you doing here?" Victoria's eyes widened waiting to pop out any minute. Her expression mismatched her beautiful evening gown.

"Mother. I'm back." I replied charmingly walking towards to the old woman and gave her a peck on the right cheek.

Before Victoria can respond, I headed to the stairs and walked slowly to our room. I didn't even knock and opened the door.

Lo and behold. 'Here you are.'