Chapter One

It was a typical morning in a town near Adventure Bay. Chase was getting up from bed. He looked outside and realized the sun was barely rising. Chase checked the clock, and the time read 6:00 am. "It's still pretty early," he told himself. Chase got out of his bed and walked downstairs. The bottom of the stairs led to a door, which he opened and walked outside.

Chase looked around the yard of his house. The yard was no bigger than a small house, and a white wooden fence higher than Chase surrounded the yard and the building. The house itself was white and light blue. Red tulips grew in a circle to his left, and pink tulips grew to his right. Looking at the tulips brought back memories. He pushed those memories aside and walked out the front gate. 

He closed the door behind him and started jogging. The German Shepherd has been going for a jog every morning for as long as he can remember. It helped him clear his mind and be ready for the day ahead. He didn't know what he was going to do.

Sometimes, he volunteered to be a lifeguard at the nearby beach. Other times, he helped out delivering groceries. Other times, he helped the police station and rescue teams. He helped look for lost or wanted people/animals. Everybody in the town knew of him. They knew that he was loyal, athletic, intelligent, and brave with a great attitude and work ethic. No one disliked him in the town except for the criminals he helped put away. The only problem was that no one knew of his past. They knew that he had experienced helping others, but they didn't know where or why. Chase never talked about his background, except to those in his household.

Chase jogged across four blocks and back to his house, a mile-long route. After the jog, he flicked a switch that turned on the sprinklers that watered the plants. Chase entered the house and prepared his food. He also put out two more dog bowls because he knew the other two dogs in the house were about to get up soon. Chase grabbed his food bowl and went to the living room. He turned on the tv and changed it to the news channel. He didn't usually watch the news, but he had nothing to do, and it was too early to go anywhere.

"AFTER MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS, THE RESCUE TEAM WAS ABLE TO RESCUE THE LITTLE GIRL FROM THE SIDE OF THE CLIFF," the news reporter, a female with blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail, announced. "SHE WAS RETURNED WITH HER PARENTS MOMENTS AGO. THE PARENTS COULDN'T BE HAPPIER TO SEE THEIR DAUGHTER OUT OF HARM'S WAY."

"What are you watching?" someone asked from Chase's right. Chase turned to his right to see a little pup, a german shepherd, staring at him. He was the same in every aspect to Chase, except that his snout and paws were white.

"Hey, buddy," Chase said. "What are you doing up so early?"

The little pup looked at Chase, confused. "It's 7 in the morning. I usually wake up at this time."

Chase looked at the time and realized that the pup was telling the truth. "Heh, you're right, Junior. Where is your mom?"

"She's still sleeping. So, what are you watching?" Junior asked again.

"I'm watching the news," Chase replied. "Your food is ready. If you want, you can bring it and watch the news with me."

"Okay," Junior said as he ran off. He came back with his food bowl in his mouth. Together, Chase and Junior watched the news as they waited for Junior's mom to wake up."

"IN OTHER NEWS, THE POLICE HAD SUCCESSFULLY IDENTIFIED THE KILLED MAN THAT DURING LAST NIGHT'S SHOOTOUT IN FRONT OF THE BANK," the reporter continued.

"What's a shootout?" Junior asked Chase.

"I will explain it to you when you're older," Chase said.

"THE POLICE DID NOT SHARE HIS REAL NAME," the news reporter said. "BUT THEY SHARED THAT HE CALLS HIMSELF 'THE STREET KING.'"

"It can't be," Chase muttered.

"What's wrong?" Junior asked, but Chase did not respond.

"THE STREET KING IS A NOTORIOUS GANG BOSS, BELIEVED RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF THE ADVENTURE BAY HERO, CHASE FROM THE PAW PATROL FIVE YEARS AGO, ALMOST TO DATE. HE DIED AFTER BEING SHOT THREE TIMES IN THE CHEST BY A POLICE OFFICER FOLLOWING A FAILED BANK ROBBERY. MORE INFORMATION ON THIS NEWS TONIGHT AT 6," the news reporter said.

"What was that about?" Junior asked.

"I...uh..." Chase stuttered.

"Junior," a voice said from the kitchen. Junior turned to see his mom, a white German Shepherd with a black nose and blue eyes. "Junior, come here." Junior walked over to her. "Go play outside."

"Okay," Junior said. He was too small to understand what was going on, so he walked away happily.

Junior's mom walked over and sat down next to Chase, who was staring at the blank television. "Chase, are you okay?"

"I don't know, Angel," Chase confessed. "Did you hear the news?"

Angel nodded. "The man who threatened you is gone. What are you going to do?"

"Well, there's only one thing I can think of," Chase said. "I have to go back to Adventure Bay. I have to see the Paw Patrol. I have to see my family, er, my other family. I have to."

"Are you sure they will accept you? I mean, you were thought to be dead for the past five years. Seeing someone come back from the dead can never be a good thing. They might not be able to handle it."

"I'm sure they will understand why I did it," Chase said. "But I also know that it will take some time. And I waited this long, Angel. I can't wait any longer."

Angel nodded as she looked at the ground. "When will you leave?"

Chase hadn't thought about that. "I guess I can leave tomorrow in the morning. I need some time to take it all in. Do you remember my old police cruiser?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm going to need it," Chase said. "There are some things I have to do first."