Chapter Three

~FLASHBACK~

It was an average afternoon in Adventure Bay. Ryder, Chase, Marshall, Everest, and Skye had just returned from finding some lost hikers at Jake's Mountain. The dogs decided to play tag until it was time to go to sleep. Chase was too tired to play with the others, so he put his uniform in his doghouse and rode the elevator up to the top floor.

Chase sat down on one of the seats that were out for the dogs. He had his eyes closed and took a deep breath of the fresh air. It had just stopped raining, so the smell of rain and wet grass was still in the air. Chase found the scent calming and peaceful.

He was sitting there, clearing his mind, when he heard someone sit down on the chair next to him. He opened his eyes and looked to his right and noticed a certain cockapoo sitting there. When he turned to look at Skye, she turned towards him and smiled. "What are you doing up here?" he asked. "Weren't you playing with the others?"

"Am I not allowed to be up here with you?" Skye asked.

"I didn't mean like that. It's just that I'm used to being up here alone."

Skye smiled. "I know you didn't mean it in a bad way. I was teasing you."

"Oh, I knew that," Chase said sarcastically.

Skye giggled. "Of course, you did."

Chase smiled at her and looked up at the city. A gust of wind blew across the balcony, sending a chill down their spines. Skye shivered and moved over to Chase's seat. "It got chilly," she said as she leaned against his side.

Chase didn't expect her to do this. "Yeah, I guess it is," he replied. He hoped she couldn't notice how badly he was blushing. They stayed in that position for a while before Skye started to doze off. "Skye, are you sure you don't want to go to sleep?"

"What if I sleep right here?" she asked softly. She snuggled up next to him.

"Why would you want to sleep up here?" Chase asked. "I thought you said that it was cold?"

"Yeah, but I don't feel like moving," Skye admitted. "And you're up here, so why would I?" Skye's head slid onto Chase's front paws.

Chase was going to ask what that meant but Skye was already asleep. Chase decided to allow it, mainly because he didn't want to leave either. Skye was next to him, and he wanted it to last. He yawned and placed his head against her head. They stayed in that position all night long.

In the morning, Chase woke up before Skye. He didn't want to wake her, so he got up slowly and placed her head down on the seat slowly. She moved a bit, which scared him, but she stayed asleep. He smiled at the sight of the sleeping cockapoo and walked into the Lookout floor.

He rode the elevator to the first floor and exited the Lookout. He entered his doghouse and put on his uniform. He walked out of his doghouse and turned left. It was time to wake up the other dogs. The first doghouse to his left was Skye, so he skipped it and went to Marshall's. He knocked on the door and called out for Marshall. "Marshall, time to wake up," Chase said.

Marshall groaned from the inside. "Already?" he asked. "It's too early." Despite that, he got up and walked out of his doghouse and met Chase outside.

"I woke you up later than usual. Want to help me wake everyone up?"

"Sure, I'll start with Everest," Marshall said too quickly. Chase smirked at him, which made Marshall blush. "Uh, I mean, I can go this way and you go that way."

Chase laughed. "Sure, Marshall. And while you're at it, you can tell her about your feelings."

Marshall laughed nervously. "Yeah, maybe." He walked past Skye's doghouse and noticed she wasn't in there. "You already wake up Skye?"

"Nah, she's still sleeping on the top floor," Chase replied.

"How do you know that?"

Chase blushed. He had to come up with an excuse. He couldn't tell Marshall that he was sleeping up there with her. "Uh, because it's my job to know."

"Mhmm," Marshall said slowly. "Alright, but you still gotta wake her up."

"Don't worry, Marshall, I will," Chase replied. He walked the other way and woke up Rubble and Zuma while Marshall woke up Rocky and Everest.

"Alright," Chase told the dogs. "Ryder is preparing breakfast, so you guys can go ahead."

"Where are you going?" Rubble asked.

"I have to go to the top floor to do something," Chase said. He looked at Marshall to make sure he didn't say anything, but Marshall just smiled.

The rest of the dogs went to the kitchen while Chase went up to wake up Skye. When he got there, Skye was still sleeping. He walked over to her and gently shook her. "Skye," he whispered. "Time to get up."

Skye looked up at Chase. "Hey, Chase," she said.

"Hey, Skye, how did you sleep?"

"I slept great, actually," she replied. She noticed that he was wearing his uniform. Skye was sure that he didn't have it on when she fell asleep. "When did you put on your uniform? You didn't have it on last night."

Chase realized why she asked this question. Skye thought that he left her alone in the middle of the night. "Oh, I put it on ten minutes ago. I slept up here, though, right next to you."

"Oh, okay," Skye said. "I thought you left me alone."

"Skye, I would never leave you ever, and I hope you know that," Chase explained. "You know, there is something I have been meaning to tell you, though."

Skye sat up straight. "Yeah, Chase?"

"Well, ever since I met you that one night, you were always the bravest and prettiest dog I have ever seen."

"Really?" Skye said.

"Y...Yeah," Chase stuttered. "Look, what I...I'm trying to tell you is that I..." He never finished that sentence. He froze, but his nose was twitching like crazy.

"Chase?" Skye asked, worried about why he stopped mid-sentence. "What's wrong?"

"You smell that?" he asked.

Skye sniffed the air and smelled something. "Yeah, it smells like..."

"Smoke," Chase continued. He ran inside and used the telescope. Skye ran after him. Chase looked around and noticed the source of the smell. He called Ryder through his dog pad. "Ryder, come in."

"Hey, Chase," Ryder said. "Are you and Skye coming to breakfast? Your food is going to get cold."

"Breakfast will have to wait," he said. "A building downtown is burning."