Chapter Seven

Chase walked through the doors of the Lookout for the first time in years. When he saw these others, he smiled. Rocky and Rubble were facing away from him. Ryder, Marshall, and Zuma were facing them.

"Do you two know why today is a special day?" Ryder asked.

“Yeah,” Rubble said. "It’s the day that Chase died five years ago.” 

Chase was shocked. Was it today? He thought.

“Well, yes, but today is more special for another reason,” Ryder explained.

Rocky and Rubble tilted their heads in confusion. "What do you mean, Ryder?"

Ryder lifted his hand and swayed his finger in a circular motion, implying that he wanted them to turn around. When they turned around, their jaws dropped.

Chase stood tall, and in his best impersonation of T’Challa, he said. "As you can see, I am not dead."

Rubble and Rocky couldn't move. They couldn't believe what they were seeing. The German Shepherd that they thought had died years earlier was standing in front of them, smiling. But seeing his size, they took a step back.

Chase noticed this and smiled. "No need to worry, guys," he said in a soothing voice. "I would never hurt any of you."

The pup tag of Rocky and Rubble rang, thanks to Ryder, that brought them back to reality. "Chase!" Rubble said. He ran over and hugged him. "I can't believe you're not dead."

Chase laughed and hugged Rubble back. "Yeah, me too, Rubble. How have you been holding up?"

"I'm good, Chase," Rubble replied.

"I could tell," Chase said. "You look stronger."

"Thanks to you," Rubble explained.

"Me?"

"Yeah, Chase. Ever since the incident, I convinced myself that I had to get stronger because that would be what you would want from me."

"Well, I'm glad that you never gave up." Chase walked over to Rocky and hugged him. "Rocky, how have you been?"

"I have been pretty busy, honestly," Rocky confessed. "But I'm good. What about you?"

"I'm good," Chase replied. "I'm just glad to be back."

At that moment, Marshall's pup tag rang. "Well, I gotta get going," he said aloud. He hugged Chase one last time. "Thanks for coming back."

"I'll always come back," Chase responded.

"Good," Marshall said. "Well, I have to get going. I can't wait to tell Everest the news." Marshall began running to his fire truck but stopped at the entrance. He looked down and picked something up. After looking at it for a second, he turned around and walked over to Chase. "You too?"

Chase was confused by this question. "What?" he asked. He looked at what Marshall had in his paw. It was the photo of him, Angel, and Junior at the beach. "Oh, no, it's..." Chase was interrupted by Marshall's pup tag ringing again.

"Well, we will have to finish this conversation later," Marshall said, winking at Chase as he passed the photo to him. He ran off and got into his fire truck. He turned on the engine and drove.

"Why is he leaving?" Chase asked. He looked at the others, but they were all smiling. "What?"

"You'll see at the party tomorrow," Ryder explained.

"What party?" Chase, Rubble, and Rocky asked at the same time.

"Haven't you heard?" Zuma replied. "Mayor Goodway is going to be throwing a beach party to celebrate the return of Chase."

"I wasn't expecting a party," Chase said. 

"And we weren't expecting you to show up and save Skye, but here we are," Ryder said. He looked around the lobby. "Where is Skye, anyways?"

"She went to her puphouse," Chase said.

"Maybe you should go talk to her," Ryder replied. "You have no idea how much Skye missed you. You missed her, right?"

"Of course, I missed her," Chase said. "But right now, I feel like she doesn't want to see me."

Ryder could tell by Chase's expression that he didn't want to talk about it, and he respected that. "Alright, Chase," Ryder said. He looked down at his watch. "Well, it's going to be time to sleep soon. Let's start getting everything ready. Chase, do you want to sleep in the guest room?"

"Um, I'm good, Ryder, thanks," Chase replied. "I think I will sleep in my puphouse tonight. I haven't slept in my puphouse in what seems like forever.

"That's fine," Ryder said. They started picking up the stuff that was scattered on the floor, putting everything where it goes.

"This is what you expected on your first day back, right?" Zuma asked sarcastically. "Cleaning the Lookout?"

Chase laughed. "Oh, yeah," he replied sarcastically, "Cleaning was one of the things I missed most of all." They all laughed.

They finished cleaning as soon as it was time to go to sleep. The Paw Patrol members said "Goodnight" to each other as they headed off to their beds. Chase entered his puphouse and laid down.

He enjoyed the smell of his puphouse. It gave him a secure, safe feeling. But there was a problem. Chase couldn't fall asleep. He tried twisting and turning, but it was no use. His mind was racing, and his eyes didn't stay close. Finally, he decided to get up. Chase walked a bit and ended up at a familiar place. He passed a tree and looked over a cliff that overlooked the entire town. But he couldn't believe what he saw. In front of him was a grave.

Engraved on the grave were some words:
CHASE
LOVED BROTHER, BEST FRIEND, FAMILY, AND HERO
2013-2021

Multiple objects were in front of the grave. Chase's old stuffed bear, Officer Bear, was also among the things. There were blue and yellow flowers(some old, some new, and some artificial ones), notes(some from Liberty and others from Adventure City), and photos of Chase with many different people.

One of the notes was from Alex. It came with him and Chase exiting the dentist's office. "You are the reason I face my fears," read the note that came with it. "You taught me to be strong and brave, even if we are afraid. I am so glad that I knew you. I miss you, Chase. We all miss you."

A photo that stuck out to Chase was one of him and Skye. Chase remembered that they were playing frisbee that day. The frisbee was up high, so Chase jumped to catch it, but Skye caught it before him. She landed on his back after she caught the frisbee. All first, Chase was shocked, but they ended up laughing about the situation.

Chase sat down in front of the grave. It was a lot to take in. He couldn't believe that he agreed to leave them all. He felt guilty. Hopefully, he got the chance to make it up to all of them. He just had to. 

***Author’s Note***
I am dedicating this chapter and chapter two to cartoonlover18, someone who has supported me for a long time, even help me write some books. Thank you and have a great day.