Chapter Thirteen

Chase, Ryder, and Marshall arrived at City Hall. When Mayor Goodway saw them, she ran over to them. "Ryder," she said. "Thank goodness you came."

"Don't worry, mayor, the Paw Patrol will take care of this," Ryder said. "Marshall, use your ladder to get up there. Chase, I need you to have your net ready to catch them in case they fall."

"Okay, Ryder," Marshall said. "But first." He ran over to the side of his fire truck and pulled out a red and blue inflatable pad, and placed it under the ladder. "There, now there's something I trust to catch me if I fall." Marshall climbed up the ladder onto the roof.

"What was that about?" Mayor Goodway asked Ryder.

Ryder looked around, making sure Chase could not hear him. "Marshall decided that he can't trust Chase after the incident."

"What?" Mayor Goodway said. "But Chase is the most trustworthy and loyal member of the team."

"Marshall doesn't see it that way. And it's not just him. Rubble, Rocky, and Zuma don't trust him either yet."

"I could go talk to them," she insisted. "Make them trust Chase again."

Ryder shook his head. "Chase wants to do it himself. Chase wants to prove that he is still that trustworthy pup he was when he left five years ago. He doesn't want anyone else fighting his battles, not even me."

The mayor nodded. "Well, I have full faith that Chase could do it."

"Me too," Ryder agreed. "It's only a matter of time until he regains their trust."

Marshall walked along the edge of the roof. "Okay, let's get you guys down."

"Awesome," Julius said. Five years passed, but they were still as curious and adventurous as when Chase saw them last. The first one to go down was the painter since he was the closest to the ladder.

The painter walked over to the ladder and climbed down. Once he was on the ground, Marshall said, "Okay, Julia. Your turn." Julia walked over to the ladder and climbed down. "Okay, Julius, let's get you down." 

They started walking over to the ladder when Julius noticed something. "Wait, the painter guy forgot his lunch," he said. Julius ran over and grabbed the lunch. He held it away from his nose because it had an odd smell. "What is that smell?"

"It's a homemade tuna sandwich," the painter said.

Julius pulled it out of the bag and looked at it. He thought it smelled weird, but someone else didn't. A seagull flew over and started to peck at the bag. "Shoo," Julius told the bird. "This isn't your lunch." But the seagull didn't understand. It started to peck more. Julius tried to swat it away, but the seagull didn't leave. Julius was closer and closer to the edge of the roof.

"Julius, be careful," Marshall said, but Julius was too busy swatting at the bird to pay attention. He got too close and started to tip over. Marshall ran over and got ahold of Julius's shirt, which only made Marshall fall with him.

"Oh, no!" the mayor screamed.

Marshall and Julius started falling to the floor. "Ruff, net," Chase said. The net shot out of Chase's net cannon. The suction cups attached to the firetruck, the walls of the building, and a column. Marshall and Julius landed in the middle of the net. Marshall and Julius stayed frozen for a second, trying to process what happened. "Are you two okay?" Chase asked as he ran over to check on them.

Julius gulped. "That was...an experience," he said between breaths. Mayor Goodway and Julia ran over and hugged Julius, glad that he wasn't hurt.

"Thank you, Paw Patrol," Mayor Goodway said.

"Whenever you're in trouble, just yelp for help," Ryder exclaimed. 

When the Goodway's left, Chase looked at Marshall. "What about you, Marshall?" he asked. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," Marshall said. He looked over his shoulder at where the net was.

"What's wrong, Marshall?" Ryder asked.

"The inflatable pad," he said. "I put it nowhere near the net. If it wasn't for Chase, we could've fallen on the ground." Marshall looked at Chase for a second and then looked down. "I'm sorry," he said. "I owe you an apology."

Chase tilted his head. "For what?" he asked.

"I didn't trust you. I didn't want you to come to this mission because I didn't want you in the way. I'm sorry."

Chase could tell that the apology was sincere. "Hey, it's okay. I get it."

Marshall looked up. "You do?"

"Of course," Chase replied. "You got a son you have to take care of. If my son lived in the city, I wouldn't want people I don't trust watching him."

Marshall nodded. "Thanks for understanding, Chase."

"We're brothers, Marshall," Chase said as he gently punched Marshall in the arm.

Marshall laughed. "Brothers forever." He hugged Chase. "I'm so glad you're here to meet my son."

"Me too, Marshall," Chase said. They separated and started walking towards their vehicles. "So, you and Everest," Chase said. "How did that happen?"

Marshall laughed. It felt good to have his brother back.

***Author’s Note***
I am dedicating this chapter to Pilkc0. Thank you for your support and have a great day.