Chapter Twelve

"Ryder," Mayor Goodway said. "I need help at City Hall."

"What's wrong, Mayor Goodway?" Ryder asked.

"Today, I was cleaning the golden statue of Chickaletta when I looked up, and my nephew and niece, Julius and Julia, were playing on top of City Hall."

"How did they get up there?" Ryder asked.

"They said they climbed up a ladder on the side of the building left by the man I hired to repaint the dome. When they climbed up, the ladder fell over and broke in two. Now all three of them are stuck up there. They could get hurt up there. Please hurry," the mayor pleaded.

"Don't worry, Mayor Goodway. No job is too big. No dog is too small." Ryder ended the call. He extended the pup pad and pressed the button surrounded by the colors of the team. As soon as Ryder tapped it, the pup tags of the dogs lit up. "Paw Patrol, to the Lookout," he said aloud.

"Ryder needs us," the Paw Patrol said in unison.

They ran towards the Lookout. Rubble was the first to the elevator since he was in the living room watching television. He was followed by Rocky and Zuma, who were having a Pup Pup Boogie dance-off. After them came Skye, Everest, Chase, Ash, and lastly Marshall. Although Marshall was not as clumsy as he used to be, he slipped on a chew toy. He slid into the others that were already inside the elevator. Ashe landed on Chase's back, Rubble, Marshall, Zuma, and Rocky were in a dog pile. Everest and Skye were standing to the side, so they weren't affected by the crash.

"Ash, sweetie," Everest said. "Are you okay?"

Ash was still on Chase's back, facing the ceiling. "The legendary Dad elevator crash," he said to no one in particular. "Awesome."

Everyone laughed as the elevator doors closed and the group went up. They stopped on the second floor, and everyone except Ash got changed into their uniforms, and the elevator continued upwards. Everyone jumped out and got in their spots, with Everest next to Marshall and Ash in front of them.

"Paw Patrol, ready for action, Ryder, sir," Chase exclaimed as he stomped his paw on the ground. Chase smiled. "Man, how I love saying that." They all laughed.

"Thank you all for coming," Ryder said. "Mayor Goodway just called. Julius and Julia climbed up to the roof of City Hall by a wooden ladder. When they got to the top, the wooden ladder fell and broke. Julius, Julia, and the man who was painting the dome are now stuck on the roof. For this mission, I will need Marshall. You will climb up and bring everyone down to safety."

"I'm all fired up," Marshall said.

"And Chase," Ryder said, which surprised the pups, even Chase. "You will be on the ground and make sure no one falls and gets hurt."

Before Chase could say that he was on the case, Marshall interrupted. "Ryder, are you sure about this?" he asked. "Chase just got back. He may still be rusty. We should wait a while until we know he is up to it. I can handle the job myself. I have an inflatable pad in my firetruck."

"Marshall, I have trust in Chase," Ryder responded. "I trust that he will do a good job."

"Yeah, but I don't fully trust him yet," Marshall said. "And I can't work with someone that I don't trust."

Ryder thought about it. He looked over at Chase and realized that he was heartbroken by it. Marshall was Chase's best friend and brother. "Okay, how many of you feel that we can trust Chase?"

The first paw to raise was Skye's. Chase looked at her and gave her a half-smile, to which she returned the smile. The second paw to go up was Everest's.

"I trusted him before he disappeared," she explained. "And he left, trusting that we could take care of the city without him. There is no reason I should have ever stopped trusting him." Despite this, no other paws went up.

"Two votes is enough for me," Ryder said. "He's still on the mission."

Marshall grumbled. "Fine," Marshall said.

"Alright, Paw Patrol is on a roll," Ryder exclaimed. He passed the pups as they cheered and howled. He grabbed onto the fireman's pole and slid down to his garage, where he had his ATV.

Marshall walked past Chase without looking at him and slid down the chute to his fire truck. Chase dropped his head and sighed. He was going to follow him when someone stopped him.

"Give him a break, Chase," Everest said as she walked up to him. "He has a lot on my mind. Marshall wants the best for Ash. He told me last night that he's glad that you're back after so long. But he didn't trust you yet. He doesn't want someone he doesn't trust defending the town his son lives in."

"I know," Chase said. "I understand what he's going through. I wish he could know that he could trust me. You trust me, right?"

"Of course, I do," Everest said. "But only you can make Marshall trust you again."

Chase thought about it. Having his brother not trust him was very hard on Chase. But he was willing to try again and again until Marshall trusted him again.

"Thanks," Chase said. "For backing me up."

Everest smiled. "Anytime."

Ash walked up to them. "Can I come with you?" he asked Chase.

Chase laughed. "Next time," Chase said.

"Okay," Ash replied as he ran off to play.

Chase smiled. "And I hope that you, and Marshall, know that I would never let something happen to Ash."

"I know, Chase, Everest said. "I know."

Chase ran towards the chute and slid down. He was determined to regain the trust of his best friend and brother. And nothing was going to stop him from achieving his goal.

***Author's Note***
I am dedicating this chapter to Nooneyouknow129. Thank you for your support, and have a great day.