Chapter Sixteen

Ryder and the pups went to sleep early that night. They had to go to Barkingburg, on an invitation from the Princess.

When the sun came up, Chase was the first one to wake up as usual. He got into his uniform, put on his police hat, and walked out of his doghouse. It was earlier than expected. Chase took a deep breath. The cold air stung the German Shepherd's nostrils but in a good way, as if he could breathe easier.

Chase walked to his right towards the pink dog house next to his. The door was open, so Chase saw Skye sleeping in there. Chase noticed his old police hat hanging on the wall. He figured it was okay if she stayed with it.

"Skye," Chase whispered. "Time to get up."

Skye started to move a bit. She lifted her head and stared straight into Chase's amber eyes. Skye smiled. "Good morning, Chase," she said as she yawned, causing Chase to yawn as well. "How did you sleep?"

"I slept well," Chase replied. "And you?"

"Good," Skye said. She got up and stretched. Chase looked the other way so Skye wouldn't feel awkward. When Skye was ready, she walked out and met Chase.

When Chase saw her, he said, "Let's go wake up the others." Together, they walked across the Lookout and woke up the others. The first one they woke up was Zuma, followed by Rocky, Marshall, and  Rubble. Upon hearing the word 'food,' Marshall and Rubble ran off to eat. The others laughed.

"We should probably get going before they eat ours too," Rocky joked. He and Zuma ran off, leaving Skye and Chase alone.

Skye and Chase walked alone towards the entrance. "Why did Ryder want us to wake up earlier?" Skye asked.

"I'm not entirely sure," Chase confessed. "Something about the Princess of Barkingburg inviting us to the kingdom."

"I wonder why," Skye said sarcastically, to which Chase laughed.

"Yeah," he said. "I'm so curious about what it would be. Whatever it is, I bet it's not about me whatsoever." Skye giggled at the statement.

Skye and Chase reached the door and walked in. Marshall noticed them enter. "Where were you two?" he asked. The others turned to Chase and Skye.

"We didn't feel like running," Chase replied.

"Mhmm," Marshall said. "Anyway, are you going to eat your food, 'cause I'll eat it if you don't. I'm starving."

Chase laughed, seeing that his best friend didn't change. "Go ahead, Marshall," he said.

Skye looked at him. "Are you sure?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah," Chase answered. "I'm not that hungry, and Marshall is.

"Thanks, Chase," Marshall said as he pushed the blue blow in front of him.

"You're welcome, Marshall," Chase said. He noticed that Skye was still worried about his decision. "Don't worry, Skye," he reassured. "I'll be fine. You eat. I will go for a quick jog."

Chase smiled, which reassured Skye. "Okay," she said. Skye walked towards her plate and ate her food. She turned around, and Chase was no longer there.

After the Paw Patrol finished eating, Ryder came down the elevator. "Good morning," he said.

"Good morning," the canines replied.

"How did you guys sleep?" Ryder asked.

"Good," they said in unison.

"That's good," Ryder commented. He looked around and noticed someone missing. "Where's Chase?" he asked.

"He left for his morning jog," Rubble said.

"Hmm," Ryder said. "Well, when all of you are done eating, go and put on your uniforms, please. The Princess has invited us to Barkingburg."

"Gee," Rocky said. "I wonder why." Skye smiled at remembering that Chase and she had that same reaction a few minutes ago.

Chase walked in on the team. Ryder poured water in his dog bowl, and he drank the water fairly quickly. When Chase finished drinking water, Chase looked up and noticed the others staring at him. "What?" he asked. They all laughed at the response. 

Everyone left and put on their uniforms. They waited in front of the Lookout with their vehicles as Ryder came around with the Paw Patroller. They all put their cars in the back and sat in their spots. When they were all seated, seatbelts appeared from the cushions and strapped them in.

"Road trip," they all said in unison.

Ryder ordered Robo-Dog to drive them to Barkingburg. "I forgot about Robo-Dog," Chase said. "Last time I saw him..."

"Was before Adventure City and Mayor Humdinger," Ryder finished the sentence. "Yeah, I was able to figure out what was wrong with him, and I fixed him. He couldn't drive us on that road trip, but he can now."

"Nice," Chase said.

The trip was two hours long. They decided to spend it watching Apollo The Super Pup, the marathon. When they got there, they looked out the windows to see blue balloons everywhere. Some had yellow stars on them.

As the Paw Patroller passed through the city, cheers went up everywhere. When the Paw Patrol got to the castle, the Princess greeted them at the entrance. To her right was her butler, and Sweetie was to her left.

Ryder and the others walked out of the Paw Patroller and bowed before the Princess. "Princess," Ryder said. "Thank you for inviting us."

"Thank you for coming," the Princess said in an English accent, bowing back. She stood up and looked over the team. "So is it true? Has Chase returned?"

"Yes, ma'am," Chase stepped forward. "I have returned."

The Princess ran over and hugged the German Shepherd. "How wonderful," she said. "Thank goodness too, cause I spent so long preparing for your arrival. The parade will start shortly."

"Honestly, Princess," Chase said. "You didn't need to do that?"

"Nonsense," she said. "The return of a hero has always been a reason to celebrate. Come, we prepared breakfast for you all."

As they walked, Chase ended up walking next to Sweetie. "There's no talking her out of it, right?" he asked.

"Nope," she replied. She was honestly surprised that Chase was talking to her. "When the Princess wants something done, it's done."

Chase laughed. "Alright, then," he said. "Let's see how this turns out."

***Author’s Note***
I am dedicating this chapter to pawparolllover. Thank you for your support and have a great day.