Chapter Six

No one could believe it. In front of the four was a German Shepherd who they thought had died five years prior. Chase was sitting there, waiting for them to do something, but they were all frozen. They couldn't say anything, couldn't do anything, except watch in wonder. 

Chase cleared his throat. "Um, so, how are you guys?" None of them said anything. "Good," Chase said. "That's good." He smiled. He looked over each one of them. He called out their names as he looked at them. "Skye, Ryder, Marshall, Zuma, Mayor Goodway, and Chickaletta." He was rather pleased with himself for remembering all of their own.

Ryder was the first one to speak. "How?" he asked.

Chase looked down at the ground. "Well, that's a long story, as well as a story for another time," Chase said. "But right now, I only want to say that I'm sorry. I'm sorry for leaving. It was wrong for me to leave you like that without warning. I..."

Chase was interrupted by a hug from Ryder. "Of course, I can forgive you," he said. "I'm just glad that you're okay, Chase. That's all that matters right now." Chase closed his eyes and drowned in the hug. He missed the hugs from his owner. Chase felt like crying but decided to hold it back. Ryder let go and saw a tear flowing down Chase's cheek, so he wiped it off. 

Everyone got out of their trance. "Chase!!" Marshall yelled as he tackled Chase in a hug. "I just knew you weren't dead." Marshall punched him in the shoulder. "Don't ever do that again." Marshall gave him another hug. "I missed you."

"Marshall," Chase laughed. "I missed you too, little brother. And don't worry, I don't plan on leaving ever again." Zuma and Mayor Goodway walked over to Chase and hugged him. 

"How are you doing, Zuma?" Chase asked.

"I'm great, dude," Zuma replied. "But I'm still a bit confused. I have a few questions. How come..."

"We'll have time to answer all of your questions," Chase said. "I'm just glad to be back." Zuma smiled, pleased with the answer.

"Oh, I'm so happy right now," Mayor Goodway said. "After I heard that you died, I was heartbroken."

"She didn't come out of City Hall for two weeks after that," Ryder remembered.

"Oh, that reminds me," Mayor Goodway said. "I have to tell everyone that you're still very much alive."

"Um, Mayor Goodway, I think it's best if..." Ryder tried to say, but Mayor Goodway had already put on her backpack and started on her way back to town.

"There are so many things to prepare," she said aloud. "We have to make a welcome party. Chase has returned. We need to have the streets cleaned, trees and bushes trimmed, tables set," Mayor Goodway continued until they couldn't see or hear her.

They all laughed. Chase looked down at the last one he forgot to greet. He couldn't believe that he was looking at her again. Her magenta eyes were as beautiful as ever. "Skye," he said.

Skye ran up to him and hugged him. Chase was surprised at first, but then he hugged her back. They didn't say anything. Ryder, Marshall, and Zuma looked at each other. They noticed that Skye was the most affected of all of them, alongside Marshall. After his death, she didn't leave her puphouse for two months, except to eat. So they thought that they should leave them alone.

"We're going back to the Lookout," Ryder said. "Chase, do you mind giving Skye a ride to the Lookout?"

"Of course," Chase replied. Ryder smiled and signaled to the other pups to follow him. Marshall and Zuma followed him back to the Lookout, leaving Chase and Skye alone. "Don't worry. We won't tell Rocky and Rubble that you return so you can tell them yourself." Marshall and Zuma followed him back to the Lookout, leaving Chase and Skye alone.

"Skye,"  Chase said as he picked up her chin so that her eyes could meet his. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too, Chase," Skye said softly. She placed her head against Chase's chest, and Chase put his head on top of hers. They stayed in that position for some time. Chase and Skye released each other and stared into each other's eyes.

"Come on," Chase said. "Let's go back to the Lookout."

Chase jumped into his seat and pressed a button on the dashboard. The cones in the back of his cruiser disappeared, and a second seat took its place. Skye jumped in after him.

"Wow, how do we still fit?" She asked. "This was your cruiser from five years ago. Now you're three times bigger."

Chase laughed. "Yeah, I made some modifications so that I can still fit in it," he explained. "It still works  the same, it's just slightly bigger."

"Oh," Skye said.

Chase started the engine and drove forward. Chase urged the cruiser a bit fast. He couldn't wait to see the Lookout after so long. Chase turned the corner, and something flew off the dashboard. Skye caught it before it could fly away. She was going to tell Chase, but she found herself staring at the object. 

It was a photo. In the photo, Chase was smiling. But two other German Shepherds were with him. One of them was a young pup on top of Chase, who looked like him, but he had a white snout and white paws. The other German Shepherd was a female dog, the same age as Chase. She was completely white with blue eyes. Chase was staring at the pup on top of him. The white dog was staring at both of them while laughing.

Skye didn't notice when they got to the Lookout until Chase said something. "Skye, we're here," he said. 

Skye blinked to come back to reality. "Huh? What?"

"We're back at the Lookout," Chase replied. He noticed Skye had something in her paw. "What is that?"

Skye jumped out of the vehicle. "Um, it was on your dashboard. It was going to fly away, but I caught it before it could. Who are they?"

"Oh," Chase said. "They are my family...eh...my other family."

"Your other family," Skye repeated. She couldn't lie. She felt heartbroken. Chase created another family while he was away. She thought she would have a chance. "Excuse me," Skye said. She pushed past Chase and started walking to her puphouse.

"Skye, it's not like that. Let me explain," Chase said, but it was too late. Skye had already turned the corner. "Nice job, Chase," he told himself. "You just got here, and you already made someone sad." Chase looked at Lookout. Nothing has changed since the last time he saw the Lookout, except for the fact that it looked like it got repainted recently. "Well, Skye might need some time," he said. "Let's go see the others."

***Author’s Note***
Hey everyone,
First off, I wanted to thank you all for reading this far into my book. It means a lot to me that so many of you like the book a lot, so thank you.
Secondly, I came up with an idea a while. While finishing up this chapter, I thought to myself: Since this is a book suggested by a fan of my work, why not dedicate each chapter to a fan of this story?
Therefore, I have decided that every chapter will be dedicated to someone that has read my story, voted on them, and has shown them love.

So to start it off, this chapter, and chapter one since I didn't do this from 1 through six, will be dedicated to richtyty. Thanks for your support on my books.

Until next time, have a great day.