Chapter Eighteen

Sweetie and Chase walked through the right hallway into the large dining room. Everyone was seated on both sides of the table, with Rocky, Skye, and Zuma on their side, Marshall, Ryder, the Princess, and Rubble on the other side. Chase sat down in an empty seat between Rocky and Skye, and Sweetie sat down between the Princess and Rubble.

"So, what did you think of the statue?" the Princess asked. 

"I like it," Chase said. 

"I hoped you would," the Princess said. "We were going to send another one to Adventure Bay, but we heard the news of your return, and it seemed of no use since you were there."

"What's going to happen with the one here?" Chase asked.

"We have decided to leave it," Sweetie explained. "It still gives the people confidence and strength."

The butler appeared next to the table. "Are you ready for lunch?" he asked.

"Yes, we are," the Princess said. 

The butler snapped his fingers, and multiple servants came out of the side room holding trays with plates. They filled the dishes with steak, beans, and rice (all are healthy for dogs if cooked). They passed out the meals with cups of water to go with them. The chefs cut the steak into small pieces, and the water cups were small dog bowls instead of cups to make it easier for the dogs.

"So, you have to explain to me," the Princess said, leaning in closer. "What happened on the day of your 'death'?"

Chase smiled, thinking about how many times people have asked that question. Chase explained why what happened, the same way he told everyone else. The Princess was a good listener. She didn't do anything other than a nod to persuade him to continue. When he finished, she stayed quiet for a second. Chase thought her thoughts on him had changed.

The Princess did something that surprised Chase. She smiled, saying, "That story was spectacular."

"So, the story didn't affect the way you see me?" he asked.

"Why would it? The story proved what I knew all along. That you are a hero, willing to give up your life for others, and the parade was not for nothing."

Chase couldn't help but smile. They started talking about what happened in the last five years in the kingdom and Adventure Bay. They all finished their food and stood up. "Thank you for the meal," Ryder said.

"My pleasure," the Princess. "I sincerely hope we can do this more often. But right now, let's all go to the parade. Everyone is waiting for us."

The Princess led the Paw Patrol back to the ballroom, and they exited through the front doors. 

"Woah," Chase said.

In a line in front of them, four parade floats were ready for them, the first float with gold and light blue. Chase figured that it was for the Princess.

The second one was red, white, and blue, the colors of the Paw Patrol logo. The logo was in front of the float.

The third float was dark blue with Chase's pup tag. Giant blue balloons covered each float.

"I will be in the first float," The Princess said. "Sweetie, my butler, and the Earl will be with me. Chase and Ryder will go in the back float. The others will go in the middle."

"Fine by me," Ryder said.

They all got on their floats. "Everyone ready?" the Princess asked. Everyone waved, saying yes. The Princess signaled the marching band that was in front of them to start marching.

The marching band and the floats moved down the streets, music blaring. As they passed the streets, citizens gathered on the sidewalks to cheer and celebrate. Some wore blue shirts with Chase's logo, others held balloons, and others had blue clothing. The wind started to blow a bit stronger. Some balloons began flying away.

Chase didn't know how he felt about all of it. He remembered Sweetie telling him it was awkward. Ryder noticed Chase acting strange. "Hey, Chase," he said. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Chase replied.

Ryder wasn't so sure. "Well, how do you feel about all of this?"

"Maybe a little bit much," Chase said. "A lot of pressure on me."

Ryder laughed. "It is. But, I know that you can support all that pressure. I know this is a lot to take in, and you don't feel like you deserve it."

Chase looked at him. "How did you know?"

Ryder smiled. "You're my very first pup, Chase. I know you. You don't feel like you earned it, do you?"

Chase looked down. "I mean, I didn't do much more than what the others did. I left them when they needed me. What kind of leader does that?"

"The kind that thinks of those he's leading," Ryder said. "You did what you did for them, not for yourself. Saying that it wasn't a brave act would be a lie. You proved that you could make the right decision under pressure."

"So you think I was right in leaving?" Chase asked.

"I think you were doing the right thing, even if it seemed wrong at the time. A true leader knows how to make hard decisions. And a better hero makes the decisions to help others. This parade was to celebrate both of them, inside of you."

Chase thought about it. Ryder was right. Chase didn't leave for himself/ He left for the team. He shouldn't feel guilty if he knew he did the right thing. "Thanks, Ryder," Chase said.

Ryder hugged him. "Anytime." They let go of each other and continued to wave at the citizens. After a while, Chase started to enjoy the parade until disaster struck. One of the giant blue balloons got loose and started to fly away. Rubble tried to catch the balloon in his mouth.

"Rubble, let go," Chase yelled. "The balloon is too big. It will..." Too late. The wind blew stronger, lifting Rubble off his feet and into the sky.

***Author’s Note***
I am dedicating this chapter to Addyxmovies. Thank you for your support and have a great day.