Chapter Twenty

A week passed since the Paw Patrol had visited Barkingburg. During the week, Chase went on four missions, in which he proved that he was trustworthy again. He got to spend some time with his nephew, Ash, and Marshall. They played tag, hide-n-seek, frisbee, and a bunch of other things. It had rained the night before, so the ground was wet and muddy, but they didn't mind. Ash got fond of Chase. He even started calling him 'Uncle Chase.'

"Ash is just loving it," Everest told Skye. "You wouldn't believe how much Ash likes Chase." Skye and Everest were watching as Marshall and Chase were running away from Ash in a dragon costume.

"His uncle Chase," Skye joked. 

"Yeah, his uncle Chase." Everest looked at Skye and noticed that she was frowning. "What's wrong?"

"What?" Skye asked. "Sorry, I was lost in thought."

"Skye, what's wrong?"

"I don't know," Skye confessed. "Something about Chase."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, ever since we came back from Barkingburg, I have been staying up longer than usual."

"Thinking about Chase?" Everest guessed.

"That's beside the point, but yes. I couldn't fall asleep, so I would walk around the Lookout until I got tired."

"We've all been there," Everest added. "Well, for me, it's usually around Jake's living room or cabin."

"Exactly, nothing was off about that," Skye continued.

"But what?"

"Every night, I will find Chase outside of his dog house."

"In his favorite place?"

"Yeah, on the cliff."

"What was he doing?"

"Nothing," Skye replied. "He would sit there, looking out on the bay. Sometimes his eyes were closed, sometimes they were open. But his sight was always distant."

"Did you ever walk up to him and talk to him?"

"I have wanted to, but I never got enough courage."

"What do you think he was thinking about?"

"I don't know, but it must be on his mind a lot. I wonder how he could hold that in and not let it show."

Everest looked at Chase. "Well, I mean, you could see it."

Skye was confused by what Everest said but realized what she was referring to when she looked at Chase. Chase, Marshall, and Ash were still playing tag, and they happened to pass in front of Chase's grave. Chase slowed down a bit and stared at it. He slowed down long enough for Ash to tag him. After Chase put on a smile, said something to Ash, and they both ran off. 

"Something's definitely wrong," Everest said. And you should talk to him about it."

"Why me?" Sky asked.

"Something tells me he would talk to you if you asked."

Skye thought about it. Before she could say something else, their dog tags rang and glowed. Chase and Marshall stopped as well. "Paw Patrol, to the Lookout," Ryder said through the comms.

"Ryder needs us," they all said in unison as they ran to the elevator. 

Marshall didn't trip, so they all got into the elevator fine. The elevator went up to the second floor, where the dogs got into their uniforms. Once they were ready, the elevator continued up to the top floor. The doors opened, and they all jumped out in their positions with Ash in front of Marshall and Everest.

"Paw Patrol, ready for action, Ryder, sir," Chase announced.

"Thank you all for coming so quickly," Ryder said. "We got an emergency. The TR-RT building had engulfed in flames." Chase was confused by what building that was, but the others looked uncomfortable. "For this mission, I will need Marshall. You and Zuma will use the hoses in your firetruck to put out the fires from the front and back."

"I'm fired up," Marshall exclaimed.

"Let's dive in," said Zuma.

"Skye, you will be our eyes in the sky, eh, no pun intended. If you see anything or anyone inside, you say something. You will also help take out the water from the roof."

"Let's take to the sky," Skye said. Skye didn't do a backflip, which Chase found strange.

"Rocky, you and Rubble, you two will place support to make sure the building doesn't fall like last time."

"Green means go," Rocky exclaimed.

"Rubble on the double," said Rubble.

"And," Ryder continued. He took a deep breath. "Chase."

"What's wrong? And why is everyone so nervous? And what is the TR-RT building?"

"Well, that's the building that burned down five years ago when you died."

"That's in the past," Chase said. No one seemed too thrilled about the mission. "Don't you all trust me?"

"Of course, we do," Skye said. "You proved that to us, but..."

"Then let me go on this mission. I can't stay here and not do anything. I need to help."

Ryder thought about it. "Okay, but we'll be careful. We're keeping our eye on you."

"That's all I ask."

"All right, Paw Patrol is on a roll," Ryder said.

A few minutes later, they all arrived at the burning building. "Marshall, Zuma, get your hose up there," Ryder said.

"On it," they responded.

"Rocky, Rubble, support the building," Ryder ordered.

"Got it," they said in unison.

Ryder heard a cry for help from inside. "There are still people inside," he said. He looked at Chase.

Chase nodded. "I'm ready for action, Ryder, sir," he announced.

"You promise you won't leave again?"

"I promise."

"Good, now let's go."

After ten minutes, they were able to get everyone out of the building. They went back in to search the second floor, but the stairs were of no use. They asked some civilians if anyone was upstairs, and they said that they didn't think so. Everyone who was inside the building that they knew of was accounted for."

"I guess that's all of them?" Chase asked. Something didn't feel right. He had a feeling they were missing something or someone.

"Wait," Skye said. "I see movement on the second floor."

"How?" Ryder asked. "They said there weren't any people left."

"They're not people," Skye explained. "It seems to be two dogs. The bigger one is entirely white, but the pup has white and brown fur."

Could it be? "What breeds are they?" he asked. It wouldn't matter what breed they were. They would still save them, but he wanted to know for sure.

Skye looked closer, and her eyes opened wide. She knew she recognized them. "They're German Shepherds."

***Author’s Note***
I am dedicating this chapter to CodeParadox. Thank you for your support and have a great day.