Chapter Seventeen

As they walked, Chase decided to talk with Sweetie. "How have you been, Sweetie?" he asked the White Terrier.

"I've been good," she replied. "And you?"

"Well, a lot has happened," Chase admitted. "A lot has changed."

Sweetie giggled. "Yeah, no kidding. Did you know that for a week after your 'death,' everyone wore blue clothing here?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, and no one told them to do it. After the first three days, even the Princess and I wore blue. I changed my collar to a dark blue, and the Princess chose a blue dress every day."

"Doesn't she already wear a blue dress?" Chase asked.

Sweetie shushed him. "Don't say it out loud," she said.

Chase laughed. "Okay, I won't," he replied. "You have changed quite a bit since I last saw you."

"Yeah, I have," she admitted.

"Still after the crown," Chase asked.

"No," she said. "It turned out that I never wanted the crown. I just wanted attention. I told the Princess after my last attempt, and she decided to make a holiday in my name. Everyone wore shirts with my face on them. Honestly, it was pretty awkward. I asked her to cancel the holiday, and she did. I guess I'm more mature now, but I don't want stuff like that anymore."

"That's good," Chase said. "So, what do you do now?"

"Well, I sometimes help around the kingdom, kind of like my very own Paw Patrol," she said. "Except it's just me. But other than that, I relax or play around the castle."

"And she's done an excellent job keeping the city safe," the Princess said as she walked up next to them. Now, all three of them were behind the rest of the team. "Why don't you show Chase the memorial, Sweetie?" the Princess asked as they entered through the front doors.

Chase looked at them. "What memorial?" he asked.

Sweetie smiled at him. "You're going to love this. Follow me." Sweetie walked off, and Chase followed. Chase made eye contact with Skye before they split ways. Chase gave her a reassuring smile. Sweetie led him up some spiral stairs to one of the main towers of the castle.

"So, what did you want to show me?" Chase asked.

Sweetie smiled. "You'll see," she said. Sweetie pressed a dark blue button on the side of the wall. From the river below, a column popped out. "Come on," Sweetie said. "Let's get a closer look."

She ran down the stairs, and Chase followed her. They exited through the front doors and went to the left side of the bridge. As they watched, the column walls fell back into the water, revealing what was inside it.

"Whoa," Chase said.

He was looking at a statue of himself, but five years younger. The eyes of the figure were of amber, with black stones for the pupils. Despite being underwater, the statue was polished. Its smile was not innocent but not a threat either. The smile radiated confidence, security, and strength as if it was saying, "You are under my protection. I will protect you, no matter the cost."

"The statue was a gift to the Princess four years ago on the date of your death," Sweetie explained. "They built another one for the Lookout, but it got destroyed in transportation."

"This is remarkable," Chase said, still looking at the statue, "But who made it?"

"We don't know," Sweetie confessed. "It appeared on our doorstep with a note." She pincer pulled out the note from her pup pack and dropped it in front of Chase. "We polished it, changed the eyes from stone to amber, and put it here. Every year, we bring it out on the day of your 'death' as a way to show our respect."

Chase looked at the note. The note read; I KNOW THE PRINCESS WAS VERY CLOSE TO THE HERO THAT GAVE HIS LIFE TO SAVE OTHERS. HE DESERVES TO BE HONORED. ONE STATUE BELONGS TO THE PRINCESS, AND THE OTHER TO THE PAW PATROL. DO AS YOU SEE FIT. "They didn't sign it?" Chase asked.

"No," Sweetie said.

Chase looked at the statue again. Its amber eyes seemed to be judging him. "This is a lot to take in," he confessed.

"Take as long as you need," Sweetie said.

Chase looked at her. "You really did change," he said.

Sweetie shrugged. "Wasn't easy," she said. "But once I did, I felt better for it. Come on. I bet they're waiting for us to return."

"Yeah," Chase said. He looked at the statue one more time before turning around and walking with Sweetie to the castle.

"So," Sweetie said. "Can I get a bit personal for a second?"

"Um, sure?"

"What's between you and Skye? Are you a couple? I always thought you two were perfect for each other."

"Wait, what?"

Sweetie giggled. "Don't act like you don't like her. I've seen you look at her and how she looks at you."

"Nothing is happening between us," Chase said.

"Mhmm," Sweetie said, not convinced. "Anyway, thanks."

"For what?"

"A second chance to clear me with you."

"Well, everyone deserves a second chance."

"Even the one who framed you and locked you in a dungeon?" Sweetie asked.

Chase laughed. "Even the one who framed me and locked me in a dungeon."

The front doors opened, allowing Chase and Sweetie to enter. They looked around at the ballroom, a large area with a stairway in the wall leading to the second floor. A large chandelier hung from the ceiling over a golden and red throne. A few yards in front of the crown, a white column with golden crowns painted on all sides stood. On top of the column was a small red pillow. A golden and red crown was on top of the cushion.

"Where is everyone?" Chase asked.

"They must be seated already," Sweetie said. "This way."

Chase noticed that Sweetie didn't even look in the crown's direction. Whether it was on purpose or not, it proved that Sweetie didn't have her attention on it.

***Author's Note***
I am dedicating this chapter to MECHASE0014. Thank you for your support and have a great day.