[36]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

2021 ©Tena Ifiemi

####

hot tub dream machine - tobi lou

deja vu - olivia rodrigo

####

"Guys meet Muna and Grace. Muna, meet my family. That's Jiji, that's my husband; your Uncle Dafe and that's Reya." My mom said, gesturing to each of us as she made the introductions.

I was still in shock from the weight and suddenness of the whole situation. Mom goes to US for her sister's funeral and comes back with two kids I've never heard about until this day. Apparently, Aunty Nnenna had left her kids in mom's custody should anything ever happen to her and so here they were, about to start living with us. The whole thing seemed so...surreal and I couldn't decide whether it was happening or not.

My eyes darted to Reya and thankfully, I wasn't the only one who was a bit unnerved. Dad didn't look surprised, so I take it he had already been warned prior to their arrival. For sure, she had to check in with her husband before making such a big decision.

"Reya, Jiji? Say hi." Mom sang and I was reminded that she was expecting an answer.

I bit my lip, feeling guilty for questioning her actions. She looked pretty stressed and I started to imagine how crazy this must be for her as well. It sure isn't everyday that you acquire two extra kids and have to deal with your sister's sudden death as well.

"Hi." Reya and I chorused. Muna, the boy just lifted the corner of his mouth in silent acknowledgement but that was it.

Mom surveyed our faces for a few more seconds before she sighed. Grabbing the message, Dad moved towards her, collecting some bags while she pushed Grace's pram forward asking him where the car was parked. The car ride was very quiet and the fact that it was night made it even more obvious. You could literally smell the tension in the air and I was waiting for Reya to burst out one uncomfortable question or the other but fortunately, she never did.

At home, mom helped Muna settle into the guest room while Reya cooked spaghetti for dinner. Mom thought it would be best if Grace stayed in her and Daddy's room but immediately she voiced out the idea, I heard Muna speak for the first time. I was in the kitchen being very unhelpful when I heard his soft voice as he argued with mom.

"Actually, I'd rather Gracie stay with me." He states calmly and with a tone of finality. He had a very strong American accent, but then considering he lived there all his life, I don't really know what else I was expecting.

"Oh..." My mom started and I could imagine the look on her face. "Well, I just thought... Um, you don't think she'd be too much work?"

"No." He said simply. I slipped out of the kitchen just a little bit to watch their conversation in the hallway.

"She's my sister, she's cannot be too much work." He added and I mirrored my mom's appalled look. He was misunderstanding her.

Muna seemed to realize that this might have not been the best choice of words and he sighed, "I just mean that it's fine if she stays with me. She's almost one and hardly troublesome." He tried to assure her.

"Okay." She said and when she walked away, I assumed it was to go get baby Grace.

I don't know why I kept staring even after their conversation had ended but Muna probably sensing my presence, landed his eyes on mine causing me to panic. He gave me a weird look and not wanting to be even creepier, I ducked back into the kitchen and started chopping onions nobody asked for.