[42]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

© 2022 Tena Ifiemi

####

vanish - giveon

baptism - ogranya

####

"LEFT! RIGHT!
LEFT! RIGHT!
LEFT! RIGHT!"

"My God." Amarachi groaned. "I'm exhausted."

"That makes all of us." I mutter and the rest of us nod.

Since we resumed from the Christmas holiday, its been inter house sports practice back to back and it was becoming more than unfunny. I mean, they should calm down, why are they stressing us so early in the year. I'm still making mistakes in writing the date, having to cross out the year every time after writing the previous year by mistake.

So, as long as I'm concerned (even though January's about to end), the year just began.

I got up and dusted the back of my skirt with my hands before gesturing for Khadijah to check if it was alright.

"Someone should follow me please." I asked the group after Khadi had given a bored nod to my previous silent question.

"Where?" Amarachi asks and I nod towards Mr. Seun, our house coordinator.

"He's asking for the Glucose."

She sighs, "I would follow you, but I'm mad tired. I would probably collapse if I stand up, I swear." She says with a sorry look.

I thin out my lips and nod, I get that she's tired. We all are.

"Let's go." I suddenly hear beside me and I turn, shocked that I missed when Khadi had got up from where she sat and come to stand beside me.

"Thanks." I tell her and wave to the rest of the group before we start to walk towards Mr. Seun.

We are silent on our walk there but immediately we turn back, Khadi begins to talk.

"So, Damian still hasn't resumed."

My reaction to her statement and his name might have been obvious because she smirked and my lips pull down, annoyed.

"So?"

Khadi hisses, "You better not give me that. It's either you think I'm blind or that I'm a fool."

Her words chill me because something tells me she's not only talking about our conversation right now... Especially when she says 'you think I'm blind'.

I sigh. "Khadijah, you're stressing me."

She scoffs, "You're stressing yourself. All these things you're keeping inside you, that's what's stressing you.

"I'm not even asking for your life history. Ordinary 'boy drama' sef, you don't want to talk."

"But you didn't ask for 'boy drama', Khadi." I say calmly trying to ignore her statement no matter how much sense it made.

"Fine then. What's up with you and Damian?"

Against my better judgment, I blush, "He likes me and I like him."

My subconscious raises a brow at me in surprise that I actually spoke. A mirror of the surprise Khadijah also wore. She probably wasn't expecting me to say anything.

She goes quiet for a while before she speaks, "When did you realize that you like him?"

"I really don't know." I confess as my mind goes over every memory I had with us in it. "I'm guessing I always felt something, I just hadn't come to terms with my feelings."