[17]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

2020 ©Tena Ifiemi

####

"GФФÐ ΛŦТΞЯЛФФЛ MΛ." I looked up from the game I was playing in my mom's phone to see Damian standing just outside our umbrella.

What?

"Good afternoon dear." My mom smiled at him. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you." He answered and sat down on Reya's chair when my mom gestured to it.

"Friend of Jiji?" She asked and I groaned.

"Mom, it's Ejiro."

"Yes ma, a friend of Jiji." He affirmed with a mischievous smile in my direction.

"Cake?" My mom asked, cutting a slice of the Red velvet cake and sliding it on a plate towards him.

"No, thank you." He said, laughing awkwardly. "I've already eaten."

My mom scoffed, "Is cake food?" She asked and gave him a fork.

I gave him a mischievous smile of my own, letting him know that he isn't getting out of this. I knew he wanted it, he just wanted to act like a good kid. Note the emphasis on the word 'act'.

Sighing in defeat, he accepted the fork and took a piece.

"Wow, this is nice." He commented and my mom beamed. Literally. "Did you buy it here, in Lagos?" He wanted to know.

"She made it herself." I said and Damian gave me a 'did I ask you?' look before turning to my mom.

"That's amazing. You have to make my birthday cake."

My mom laughed. This boy sure knew how to win a mother's heart.

"I don't really bake to sell and Lagos is too far for delivery anyway." She told him, I popped another Toblerone triangle into my mouth watching as Damian devoured the cake in front of him.

"Who said anything about Lagos?" Damian asked and when she raised a brow he explained; "I stay in Port Harcourt."

"That's nice, we live in PH too. Jiji didn't tell you that?"

At this, I hit my hand on my forehead severally until my mom and Damian turned to look at me. I just rolled my eyes and stood up.

"I'll leave you people to it then." I said getting up.

"No, no, no." My mom protested, "Damian should go with you. I don't believe he came here to talk to me." She said and when Damian wasn't looking, she winked at me.

What!

"Your mom is cool." Damian said when we left the table. I turned back to give my mom a death glare before turning back to Damian.

"Ha, ha, ha."

"Ha, ha, ha?" He asked, turning my reply into a question with an amused smile.

"She's just putting up an act." I scoffed.

"Hater." He laughed and I smacked his arm. "What? I'm not the one calling her mom uncool."

"Its not like that..." I start to say

"It's not like that." Damian mimics me, but in a very dumb un-jijilike voice.

"Why do you have to be so annoying?"

"I'm not. Why do you have to be so quiet?" He retorted.

I didn't say anything.

"Are you okay?" Damian asked inching closer to me, and daring to put a finger under my chin.