[09]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

2020 ©Tena Ifiemi

####

"ΞJłЯФ PŁΞΛSΞ HΞŁP MΞ check what class I having next on the timetable." Amarachi called as I stood up to throw my empty juice box into the trash can.

"Alright." I said before leaving the room. I've always liked the fact that the notice board wasn't very far from my class. It makes the people I meet on the way so much lesser.

"We have Government next." I announced when I came back to the class.

"Yes Ejiro. You have Government next. Now can you please help me find out what I have next."

It took a second to understand.

"Ohh...sorry, science student." I pointed at her. "Art student." I pointed to myself.

Amarachi gave me a look that clearly displayed what she thought about me: weird. Leaving the classroom for the second time, I went to find out what class science students have.

"Chemistry!" I yelled when I came back.

"Ejiro!" I turned to see Leila raising her head from her table. "I'm trying to get enough sleep before break is over!"

"Oops, sorry."

"And of all words to yell, the C-word!" She complained again and I nearly choked on my biscuit.

"Chemistry is the C-word?"

"Don't say it!" She screeched using her hands to cover her ears and blocking off any more of my evil words.

"Okay, but just know that your having chemistry class next." I told her as I walked to my locker to bring out my history notebook.

"Ejiro remind me to kill you when we get back to the hostel." Leila ground out between her teeth, now fully awake.

"No problem dear. I will remind you to kill me for saying chemistry."

Before Leila could pounce on me, the chemistry teacher came to take his students to the lab for their class. I grinned at her very angry face as she left.

"Good morning class!"

"Good morning Mr. Tokumbo." The remaining students (art) chorused as our Government teacher walked in.

"Who is the class prefect?"

"I want to tell you, but being well aware that you'll forget it again the minute you leave this class is quite disturbing so I'd rather not-"

"Fola!" Mr. Tokumbo warned.

"I'm the class perfect, sir."

Mr. Tokunbo narrowed his eyes.

"Is that so?"

"Yes sir."

Fola is one of those boys I admired from afar because yes, up till now I don't have easy conversations with everyone. And when I say admire I don't mean the I have a crush on you and I want you to be my boy friend kind of admire! I just admire him in general, especially the way he talks. Not the accent per say, which tells you he spent a lot of time in America before coming here but the fact that he doesn't speak like the average Nigerian kid.

"When Ejiro decides to come back to the class, I'd like to tell her that we've finally stopped discussing Elections and the Electoral process and this week we're proceeding to a new topic which I have written on the board."