[38]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

©2021 Tena Ifiemi

####

jeje de whine - ckay

mother - charlie puth

####

I didn't feel like going to my room to sulk so I went into the balcony instead. I tried to call Damian again but it just rang, he didn't answer. I sighed and scolded myself for being so bothered. After staring at my call logs for the longest time, I moved over to WhatsApp and started leaving messages.

I see that u called me.

I'm sorry, I couldn't pick up, my mom was there.

It wld have been weird😅

Y aren't u picking up my calls? Is it payback?

Are you okay?

"Oh, sorry. I didn't realize anyone would be here."

I looked up from my phone and saw
the owner of the voice already retreating, with his baby sister in his arms. I loved how much he cherished his sister. It always made me feel a certain way when I saw them together; like a sad 'awwn' because it was adorable and I wish I had something like that. She'll hate him when she's a teenager though, he'd be so overprotective.

"You can stay!" I immediately called out. "I'll just go."

He raised an eyebrow as he let out a dry laugh, "Why? This is your house right?" He said, his tone confusingly bitter but I've learned not to judge Muna. I can't say I know what he's going through but I understand that it must be hard.

I shrugged, "Everyone knows that you're always here." I tried a smile but I wiped it off, feeling stupid when he didn't react. I made to leave again but he stopped me.

"We can both stay." Having said that, he grabbed a seat and moved it to the far end. Then he set Gracie down on the play mat and just watched her.

I looked back at my phone and pressed the power button. I and Damian's chat screen glared back at me. Suddenly feeling stupid about it, I deleted all the messages I had sent and exited the app. I sighed, wondering what to do next when Muna shocked me by speaking to me.

"Are you always so quiet? Or am I making you uncomfortable?"

My eyes widened and I waved my hands, "No, not at all."

"Which question are you answering?"

I tried to remember what he had asked, "The second one."

"So you're always so quiet?" He asked, taking his eyes off Gracie and looking at me.

I frowned and looked away, "Since when do you talk so much?" I retorted quietly but defensively. I hated when people tried to read me, the thought that they may find something scared me.

I think I hear him chuckle, I'm not sure but when I glanced at him he had his usual blank expression on.

"I feel bad...for being here." He spoke definitely catching my attention. He continued before I could think of asking anything, "For making y'all uncomfortable and for how I speak to your mom. My mom is Nigerian so I know that it's not okay... It's just.."

When he couldn't continue, I leaned forward, "You can't help it Muna. You shouldn't feel bad for anything."

He laughed humorlessly, "I don't understand why though. Mom was finally going to be happy..." He broke up, his face a mixture of anger, grief, sadness and fear of continuing. "Gracie is just a baby, she won't remember her."