[52]

Life Of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

©2022 Tena Ifiemi

####

Deep breaths Jiji. Deep breaths.

I inhaled, doing just as I repeated in my head. Chisom's taunting voice had long faded from my head and my roommates' as well when they stated why it was impossible for Damian to like me and not be sexual. What plagued me now was Khadijah and Reya's voices when they asked why I told Damian to give me space after accepting his apology.

"Do you think he's lying?"

"Why then? I expected to be hearing wedding bells by now."

I breathed out, letting pent up air as well as emotions out of my lungs. Although as for the emotions; I could only try.

I switched on the tap loving the sound of the water rushing, serving as a bit of distraction from my thoughts. I sigh when my hands finally make it under the tap and I scoop the cool water and splash it on my face.

"Ejiro?"

I turn around to see Zainab.

"It's time, right?" I ask and she nods. I use the electric dryer to dry my hand before following Zainab out of the girls' toilet.

How long had I even been there? I thought as I noticed the empty classrooms when we passed.

"Senior Ejiro!"

I put on my best smile as I had practiced in the mirror every morning in the past week. "Ola, hi!"

She started to chant, "Senior Khadijah for Library Prefect. Senior Tolani for Cafeteria Prefect. Senior Damian for Sports prefect. Senior Amarachi for Head Girl. Senior..."

I listened as she continued to call out the names of the people she was voting and a hint of a genuine smile began to make it's way to my face.

"Amazing choices, Ola." I tell her and she beams. Then I lean in to whisper to her, "Don't forget, If the person beside you is picking differently let them know how wrong they are."

She grinned, "Already done."

"Isn't that against the rules." Zainab pointed out beside me with a laugh as we continued on our way to the auditorium.

I shrug, "What's the worst they can do?"

"Disqualify the aspirant."

"What!?" I turn back seeing Ola bickering with her friends. I hold them in view for a few seconds before shrugging again, "They wouldn't dare."

Zainab giggled, "Yes ma'am."

When I remained silent, Zainab nudged me softly, "Don't tell me you're worried. Damian has this okay? Did you hear his manifesto? It was the best! His claps were the loudest."

I chuckle, "I'm not worried exactly. I know he 'has this'. It's what I might never have I'm worried about."

If Zainab didn't understand, she didn't ask.

"This is going to be as brief an event as it can possibly be. A small booklet will be passed around by your teachers and you will tick the box beside the name of the person you think is right for a particular post. After which you will stand row by row to cast your votes in the boxes here at the front. When you entered the hall, paper wristbands were attached to your wrists. After voting they will be cut to ensure that nobody votes twice.

"There are rules. While the voting process is going on which includes the stage where you tick your chosen candidate and the stage when you cast your vote, there should be no verbal communication. If you speak you will be sent out. If you campaign for anybody from now forward, not only will you be sent out but your candidate will be disqualified."