Four

As days went by quicker than Wooyoung's liking, he dreaded the wedding more and more everyday. The next few days were extremely busy days, the castle preparing feverishly for the wedding ceremony, setting venue, inviting the territory leaders and it wasn't an ordinary ceremony either, it was a Royal wedding, the wedding of the only son and the true heir of the Ellesmere Empire. Everything needed to be perfect.

Wooyoung was still not used to his soon to be 'home' (if he could even name it as his home). The two royals barely crossed paths with each other and it was at dinner that they had to see each other, which wasn't a pleasant experience for anyone. They barely acknowledged the other's presence in the room. Stubbornness, the emperess called it.

Dinner was a quite affair, barely anyone made a sound, the empress making small attempts to start a conversation, Wooyoung being the only one to reply in short, curt responses.

All in all, it was awkward and the empress had gave up trying to get a word out of the two.

Wooyoung sighed as he walked back to his chamber. He was coming back from visiting the royal seamstress as the emperor had ordered. He had given his measurements for his wedding attire which would be ready just before the event. He didn't know what to expect but really couldn't care less.

Wooyoung entered the room, and once Yeosang made sure that the prince was safely inside the chamber, he bowed and went to his room, appointed for the guards on the first floor.

Wooyoung exhaled tiredly, removing his outer clothing and putting it on the armchair in the corner of the room. Just as he was about to strip, a knock was heard. Wooyoung sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Come in." He said, sitting on the bed.

The door opened, and the black haired guard came in, holding an envelope in his hands.

"Your Highness, this is for you." He said, bowing slightly and extending his arms out, towards Wooyoung, with the envelope in his hands.

Wooyoung looked at him, his brows furrowed in confusion. "For me?" He pointed to himself.

The guard nodded.

"Very well," He said, uncertainly and took the envelope from him. The guard bowed and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Wooyoung flipped the envelope and his heart dropped when he saw the royal seal of his kingdom imprinted on the yellow envelope. He hastily opened the envelope and took out the paper. He unfolded it and his eyes began watering as he read through the contents.

My dear Wooyoung,

I feel so incredibly ashamed as I write this letter to you. You probably despise me and rightfully so. I would too. I am sorry that you have to go through this. I know you do not want this marriage to happen and I apologise that I could not do anything about it and just let you go. I really tried to convince your father to reconsider his decisions once more. I really did. Believe me. But in vain, you know how he is and now you are going to be married to a complete stranger in a foreign land, far, far away from me and it hurts. It hurts to send you away like that. And what I am going to say next, will make you hate me even more and it breaks my heart. I am sick. I have been sick for quite a long time now and I don't have much time left in my hands. Before I go, I wish I could at least see you getting married, but that is not going to happen. I can not attend my own beloved son's wedding. But do not fret. Yunho and Seonghwa will be there. I truly feel so miserable as a mother. I am sorry to disappoint you baby. But always know that your mother loves you the most in this world. I love you more than anything, the happiest moment of my life was the moment you were born. The moment I took you in my arms for the first time. The moment you called me mother for the first time. You are truly the best son any mother could ever ask for and if I were to be born again, I would still choose you to be my son, in every other life. You made me the happiest and proudest mother and seeing you all grown up and ready to marry, is a little emotional for me. But no matter how old you grow you will always be my little Wooyoungie. Once again, I am sorry. Please try not to hate me too much.

I love you,

Your mother.

Wooyoung's vision was blurry as he read the last sentence and the paper was stained with tear drop. He clenched the paper in his hands, his chest heaving from sobs. His heart hurt and his chest felt heavy. He repeated the words in his head.

She is sick, she is going to die, she is not coming to my wedding, I won't see her again, she is dying.....

Wooyoung pressed a hand over his mouth as his cries became louder and his body began shaking uncontrollably. He shook his head continuously, not wanting to believe that his mother was dying. He hugged the pillow, burying his face in it to muffle his sobs. His head was throbbing. He let out a painful scream, which was thankfully muffled in the pillow.

He wanted to go back to his mother, spend time with her, shower her with all the love he has for her. He wanted to tell her that she was the most amazing mother a child could ask for, He wanted to tell her that he doesn't hate her and will never do so. He wanted to thank her for everything she has done for him.

Yet he can't.

Wooyoung's cries became louder and painful as he imagined his mother's lifeless body laying on the death bed. He heard a faint knock on the door.

"Your highness, is everything alright in there?" A voice asked. Wooyoung cleared his throat and tried to make his voice more stable.

"It is quite alright. I wish to be alone," He yelled, clearly not in the mood to deal with anyone.

Wooyoung wiped his tears and laid on his back, staring aimlessly at the ceiling. His life was going downhill right before his eyes.

He was drowning and there was no one to save him.

🥀